Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

WHY are commodores always breaking?

dontsailbackwards

I didn't do it
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Calais V6 '94
Fords are worse - ask any mechanic how many heads etc the replace on the equivalent Fords & Holdens. My mechanic hates them.

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
I believe it comes down to how you look after your car to begin with. I never had any troubles with my vl because I serviced it regularly.

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
I reckon it all depends on the cars previous life... I once had a 1 owner VK SL 5 litre, 4 spd, Brock lookalike... the previous owner had pampered it all it's life... and I only ever replaced the battery in it within 4 yrs of ownership...

Buying a 2nd hand sports model of any car range always has extra risk... due to the fact that well healed revheads buy these cars to drive hard...and if the cars changed hands a few times then no doubt it has had a thrashing once in a while...

You just got to know what to look for when you buy so you dont end up with a lemon... and that rule applys to all sports cars not just Holden SS.

edit: I forgot I also replaced the muffler aswell as the usuall wear'n'tear stuff (oils, tyres, etc.)

Last edited:
M

Masher

Couldn't agree more. My VS has had its probs along the way (rear CV's...$1500 a piece...aargh!!!) but you also got to look at value 4 money. You can buy a new SS for $50k, and ya spend your money on 1) factory required servicing to keep the warranty intact and 2) sh@@tloads of early depreciation....or you spend $22k on a used ride, do the servicing yourself (save $1k a year at LEAST), spend a bit on repairs but have very low depreciation (V8s rule!!!)........the choice, my friend, is yours. I have done both, and I have to say that the second option is the one I would always go for! Mate, you think how much you save each year on $28k finance...say at least $5k in interest you are not spending....that goe aa long way to pay for your repairs...and I reckon VP-VS Commodore v8's sound and look better lol!

A

andyvscommodore

Masher said:
Couldn't agree more. My VS has had its probs along the way (rear CV's...$1500 a piece...aargh!!!) but you also got to look at value 4 money. You can buy a new SS for $50k, and ya spend your money on 1) factory required servicing to keep the warranty intact and 2) sh@@tloads of early depreciation....or you spend $22k on a used ride, do the servicing yourself (save $1k a year at LEAST), spend a bit on repairs but have very low depreciation (V8s rule!!!)........the choice, my friend, is yours. I have done both, and I have to say that the second option is the one I would always go for! Mate, you think how much you save each year on $28k finance...say at least $5k in interest you are not spending....that goe aa long way to pay for your repairs...and I reckon VP-VS Commodore v8's sound and look better lol!

F*ck I didn't know Rear CV's cost so much! !!!
Hope mine remain orright :)

RVN 355

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN SS 355
mate new cars have dramas, its all about how well the car wasbuilt and looked after and km on the clock. My Vn SS is doing well just over 185km now so im not complaining.

holden#1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S1 Executive V6
the main issues I have with commodores, well cars in general, is the amount of electronic stuff that breaks. like stuff that doesn't even have moving parts...
The electronics in planes must be a lot better or else they would be falling out of the sky everywhere...
someone might have the answer for me:
i.e how the hell does a crank angle sensor wear out? no moving parts... wtf???

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
Get on your knees and thank god your not the owner of a diesel Toyota Landcruiser, all parts are tripple the price.

Eg, a 5 speed box is $5,000 -$8,000, the transfer case is another $3,000, add a injector pump at $2,500+ and you start to get the idea, a diff is $1500 when compared to a s/h complete rear commodore end disk to disk at $400.

In comparison commodore parts are very cheap, just depends on where you shop.