Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Why do people lower there rear more then there front!

Haydz

Fasten your seatbelts
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS UTE LS1 T56
its just the cool thing to do.

also camber looks tuff but you needa be rich to afford the tyres lol.

i also like a level car. in that picture i had a full car and boot full of camping gear.

11156_1223649245851_1667593213_601678_326932_n.jpg

Heffer_Slayer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina

the point i was trying to make is that THIS ^^^^ is what i was talking about.

Fair enough some cars may suit the look being a TAD lower in the rear. But personally i think i like a nice level ride like stealthys

vn_v6

Blumpkin
Reaction score
Members Ride
87 vl limited edition
that looks bagged but?:S

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
This is similar to a thread I started a while back named "WHY LOWER?" These days cars are already low enough, IMO. Years ago the older Holdens like HT, HK, HG, Etc, and some Fords were ALWAYS slightly lower in the front than in the back. Maybe young people like it to appear that they have a carload of lads in the back? And the invisible caravan bit is quite a good laugh, too! I reckon dumped rear end cars look absolutely REDICULOUS! LOL! HE HE HE HE HE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FTW.

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
And would have to make the vehicle handle worse when back is lower than front. Just plain nonsense.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ecotec
cars ALWWAYS handle worse when rear is too low unless car is underpowered, for drag its better to raise the rear slightly and stiffen it, for drift dead even and for track balance the weight MUCH more difficult includes normally many test and tune days;). for most of my customers a GOOD kit is best e.g. pedders sell kits of springs and shockies. the BEST car i have driven was dead even ride height vs with a gen4 supercharged in it, and let me tell you gen 4 is heavy this guys caster was like so neg the wheels almost hit gaurds!!!! so all in all get your suspension done proffesionally cheap = pedders expensive = tein but if set up correctly only a time hardend driver will feel the difference

the biggest suspension fault i see recently is rear camber from people/customers lowering )springs) but not adding caster adjustment and the there rear 235's might as well be chaser rims;)

Commydoor

born in the FB era
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Ss Blown
for drag its better to raise the rear slightly and stiffen it,

im not a drag race inclined kind of guy (yet) but i thought it was better to keep the rear end soft...the rear end squats under power aiding traction as the tyre grips while 90/10 shocks up front keep the front lifted transfering weight therefore grip to the rears...i agree with the standard or slightly higher spring height but wouldnt stiffening the rear increase risk of wheelspin and therefore loss of traction?

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
this has air bags :hmmm:

the point i was trying to make is that THIS ^^^^ is what i was talking about.

Fair enough some cars may suit the look being a TAD lower in the rear. But personally i think i like a nice level ride like stealthys

that looks bagged but?:S

I know it has bags, but it illustrates what the OP was saying, granted a exaggerated form of it but it really portrays the image of what is perceived to be 'cool' with today's drivers. Full credit/no offence to Ben (TrikkBen) for this photo because his VS (pictured, which obviously doesn't sit like that normally) is an amazing car.

In my area (Doncaster/Donvale) there are alot of VR's, VS's and VZ's with low rears and high fronts, with loud farting/droning exhausts...really fricking gay. All P platers, sorry if any of you guys are on this forum, and no offence if it is your personal preference, but to me I think it looks absolutely crap, and your exhausts and driving behaviour is even worse. Oh and on another note, hats are meant for sun protection, rather than having them slanted the same way as your car (front right up, perched on the back of the head)

End of my rant.

*Grabs another Beer*

Stressball

Rolling on 4 again :D
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Triton
i thought it was better to keep the rear end soft...the rear end squats under power aiding traction as the tyre grips while 90/10 shocks up front keep the front lifted transfering weight therefore grip to the rears...i agree with the standard or slightly higher spring height but wouldnt stiffening the rear increase risk of wheelspin and therefore loss of traction?

It's all dependant on the rest of the drivetrain. A muscly, torquetastic car with soft suspension, the suspension freedom gives it a good balance between tyre slipping and wasted energy. Nitro dragsters are completely suspension-free, so the idea is power-delivery to find the right balance again. Pro stock dragsters rely on a big squat on soft-ish suspension for good weight transfer, like you said.