Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Why do VP's seem to go faster than the VR's according to the magazine road tests?

muso

Reaction score
Members Ride
BA xr6 turbo Heinrich tuned to 300 rwkw's
I know it seems a pointless question (and I don't want to start a VP's are better than VR's war) but it's more a point of academic interest.

According to the road test the VP is considerably quicker 0-100kph than the VR (8.6 secs (vp) versus 9.2 (vr) and 0-400m 16.2 (vp) versus 16.6 secs (vr) in spite of the VR's slight power increase and very little difference in weight.

And then the VS in spite of a considerable power increase still only seems to match the VP in acceleration but with more refinement

Could it be the change over from hydramatic to electronic shifting along with rolling refinement in the throttle body? I know that both the VP and the VR certainly get off the line quicker than my VX (similar power but 200kg heavier) I am refering to getting to the other side of the intersection 1st gear type acceleration and not stupid bogan type street racing exceeding gazetted speed limits and killing families etc.:bop::mad:

Last edited:

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
could of been due to the weather at the time of the test.... traction, tyres, driver,fuel,road surface....theres a number of things that can make a difference during tests becuase its hard to have a controlled environment

muso

Reaction score
Members Ride
boona15 said:
could of been due to the weather at the time of the test.... traction, tyres, driver,fuel,road surface....theres a number of things that can make a difference during tests becuase its hard to have a controlled environment

Yes there are a lot of variables. Congrats on the 5 litre time:)

Last edited:

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Muso, you made a typo with the 1/4 mile times, where the VP should be 15.6 and you had 16.6. But yeah I've driven VR's and they don't seem to be really any slower than a VN or VP in actual real life so I don't know what was going on in the road tests they are only 20 or 30kg heavier than a VP. There are guys on this forum that have done nothing more than straighten the throttle body and install a CAI and run 15.6 in a VR auto V6 on a drag strip so they do go allright. The VS/T/X/ usually makes 100-110rwkw on a dyno and the VN-VP will make 95-105rwkw and the VN probably makes the most low down torque of any of those models. The VS is also another 50kgs heavier than the VR so the slight extra power wont make up for that especailly compared to a VN/P.

The base model VT is a full 250kgs heavier than the base model VN/P and that's when its only pumping slightly slightly more power than a VN/P it's never going to be anywhere near it performance wise.

Not sure why the specs say the VT is 80kgs heavier than a VX and 50kgs? heavier than a VY but that might explain why all the really fast Gen III executives are VX's ??

Full Spectrum

Bro it's a VW your Audi!
Reaction score
Website
www.news.com.au
Members Ride
Berlina V6
I think it's in the Transmissions, the more Electronic Transmission from Vr on wards was more restrictive on launch to hold back wheel spin as much as they could.

muso

Reaction score
Members Ride
greenfoam said:
Muso, you made a typo with the 1/4 mile times

Yes my bad, I have edited it now to the correct times, magazine tests are not always the most accurate way to determine a car's performance, an old 1989 R31 GX Skyline auto, beige colour, some rust, missing hubcap etc. being driven by a 'P' plater kid blew the door handles off my VX once I was out of 1st gear, it was uphill a bit so my cars weight would not have helped but he was right next to me even in 1st gear.

I come home from work on a 100 kph highway which has a few traffic lights so you can legally go up to 100kph from the traffic lights, those damn R31 Skylines can really go, I used to own one, they run 3.89 diff gears stock, but the magazine write ups suggest that they are far slower than my VX (0-100 8.8 0-400 16.2) R31 Skyline auto (0-100 10.4sec & 0-400 17.4sec)
I'm a bit of a fan of the R31 Skylines:bow:

P.S. Yes the early VN V6's really haul arse don't they!

muso

Reaction score
Members Ride
turtle-power said:
I think it's in the Transmissions, the more Electronic Transmission from Vr on wards was more restrictive on launch to hold back wheel spin as much as they could.

Wouldn't it be nice if you could "unrestrict" it back to VN series 1 level :my:
The VR's I've driven all seem to go well and so do VP's.
VP+P plater = Burnout:driving:

TAILS83

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
the vn series 1 went hard due to it's low ratio 1st gear and lumpier cam, the series 2 motor was more refined. not as lumpy and first gear was changed to make it more drivable.
the vt series 1 had big side intrusion bars in the doors which in the series 2 were lightened which made it alot lighter.

manvr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN 3.8i 5sp
i had a vr 5sp and now i got a vn 5sp and the vr was quicker, but thats because the vn is older and has done 70 thousand more km's.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
All the gear ratios are the same in the turbo 700's right through the Commodores, the only reason the VN seems to have a different first gear is because it's ripping through it faster :) but it's the same ratio as all the others