Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Why do you have to go lower profile on 20's?

frogsta

Perth WA
Reaction score
Members Ride
Focus ST E30
I know not of an IDK I know ID ten T. But seriously couldn't see the attachment.

Me neither, #### this I hate my life :c
*Sorry ClairBear I thought it was close enough

Last edited:

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
Illegal, pffff, pretty sure the cops won't notice.

You asked why do you have to go for a lower profile on 20s... that's the reason.

Rolling diameter (circumference of tyre) cannot deviate more than +/-15mm from OE fitment. Bigger wheels than OE mean you need to have a lower profile, smaller wheels need a taller profile. It has nothing to do with aesthetics or gearing (will obviously affect both, but that's not the reason) - simply not being defected.

It will get noticed eventually - tyre selection is a 'fashionable' defect at the moment. But if you want to run against the grain and tempt fate, then go for it.

TraidMarc

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.traidmarc.com
Members Ride
VE Series II SS-V Redline Sportswagon A6 Phantom
Me neither, #### this I hate my life :c

Do you want to talk about it?
I could start another thread in the pub.
I too am a reformed life hater.
Still here though, pulled through and enjoying it.
Its the lowest points that make everything else seem like a high.

Last edited by a moderator:

TraidMarc

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.traidmarc.com
Members Ride
You asked why do you have to go for a lower profile on 20s... that's the reason.

Rolling diameter (circumference of tyre) cannot deviate more than +/-15mm from OE fitment. Bigger wheels than OE mean you need to have a lower profile, smaller wheels need a taller profile. It has nothing to do with aesthetics or gearing (will obviously affect both, but that's not the reason) - simply not being defected.

It will get noticed eventually - tyre selection is a 'fashionable' defect at the moment. But if you want to run against the grain and tempt fate, then go for it.
yes I think I will, I mean the car has done 4000km in 18 months so its not on the road much, I am not a hoon, I don't hang around the fashionable set doing laps. Apart from the first day I had the car I hadn't been pulled over for anything other than a RBT in the last 20 years and I have had modified cars all of the time, albeit 4 bangers.
If I get a defect for having what is essentially safer tyres, so be it.

TraidMarc

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.traidmarc.com
Members Ride
Otherwise the outside circumference of the wheel will be too big. It will rub of things and upset your shift points, you will use more gas, lose power and its illegal if you ran a 245/45R20

Thats fine, but if you want a fatter tyre you need a smaller rim like 16's or 17's. If you had 275's on the front I would think it would foul on the vehicle structure when you turn the wheels.

I never mentioned 275's on the front.
Any way cheers, all sorted. I may get defected, but I'm going to take take that chance.
PUCK YOU - Jonah - Summer Heights High - YouTube

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
defects arent the only worry. have an accident, and seeing as the car would be unroadworthy, either your insurance probably wont pay out, or you could be deemed liable for the accident.

ESP may also be affected by incorrect tyre diameters also.

TraidMarc

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.traidmarc.com
Members Ride
defects arent the only worry. have an accident, and seeing as the car would be unroadworthy, either your insurance probably wont pay out, or you could be deemed liable for the accident.

ESP may also be affected by incorrect tyre diameters also.

I know your point is valid, but really I have never had an insurance company be so thorough.
I once had a 4wd with 31's on it and was at fault when I failed to give way to another vehichle, well I was trying to give way but the inlet manifold(Gas) blew off and I came to a halt, anyway the insurance company paid.

They actually look at what caused the accident when they check the car out, slight tyre mods could be called up, but realistically do not.
If I have a crash especially in the wet, they will look for bald tyres.

When I insured the new wheels for 6 grand, they neither batted an eye lid, nor asked what size they were, and gave me a fifteen dollar rebate because I had done less K's than expected.

I think the ESP will know about the change in size, pretty sure this is why there is a facility to change the parameter.

Anyway, cheers, I think I have made the decision to go for it.

TraidMarc

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.traidmarc.com
Members Ride
Otherwise the outside circumference of the wheel will be too big. It will rub of things and upset your shift points, you will use more gas, lose power

Thinking about this more.........The outside diameter could get very close to the coil mounts, will have to check.
Couldn't possibly lose power, however it could slightly feel like it, but I doubt it. I felt it in my 4wd but i adde about 4 inches in OD and that shitbox was never really powerful to begin with.
Shift points could be upset, but i could change them slightly.
May use less gas actually, I think I could be at higher speeds for lower revs.

frogsta

Perth WA
Reaction score
Members Ride
Focus ST E30
Do you want to talk about it?
I could start another thread in the pub.
I too am a reformed life hater.
Still here though, pulled through and enjoying it.
Its the lowest points that make everything else seem like a high.

No, I'm allergic to Electricians