Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

why does my vt chew so much fuel?

vs commo

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
hi guys just wondering if anyone has any info on why my fuel consumption is so bad?i filled the tank with e10 and it said i had 603ks till empty.then today my cars on dead empty and has only done 333ks and this has been happening for quite some time and is giving me the shits cause i cant find the answer.any help would be great

HARVZ-6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT spac super6
From what im aware your shouldn be running e10 unless the car is tuned to it..

run normal unleaded for awhile and note any difference

Brett McRae

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX series 2 S-pack Auto 3.8
my brothers VT is very similar but not quite as bad even when it is driven sensibility 400km outa a tank tops

vr1uz-fe

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vr berlina
use standerd unleaded get the fule lines looked at

but in my opinoin the gear box is the issue im guessing auto not many ppl would agree with me but i have had a few commies with bad autos they chew fuel as they slip into gears i couldent put my finger on it then i relaised when in other cars that my mates owned some were newer and got more fuel economy and the gearbox was crisper dident slip

then my gear box stated to fail in one of my commos put a filter in fixed for a few weeks but sliped worse used more fuel

it's your gearbox mate and the **** fuel

JayRome112

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wide Body Galant & VT V6 TT
agreed with vr1uz-fe in regards to old gear boxes, slipping, holding gear for too long, and not kicking down a gear when needed etc....

whens the last time you changed your Oxy sensors? and checked your engine for vac leaks?

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
I'm going with the Oxygen sensors , the can cause an increase in fuel consumption

vs commo

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
yeh i was thinkn the fuel but ive serviced the gearbox regularly since having it and it doesnt clunk or feel like its slipping at all but it is pretty sluggish on take off compared to other commos ive had.im gunna get the o2 sensors done next week and see how that goes.any other suggestions would be great.thanks for the help so far guys.

Darcon666

Evil is always around you
Reaction score
Website
www.gfy.com
Members Ride
Your Mother
All ethanol based fuels burn less efficiently giving less power, so to get the same power your motor chews/needs more fuel.

O2 could also be causing this as well, as already stated... and check your spark plugs as well.

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
From what I have read you travel less km's on a litre of E10 compared to normal unleaded, so even though the E10 is cheaper it does not go as far.

mattgreen

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S Pack
you said the problem you used e10. dont use that ****. it only causes problems. run it on 95 and you will see dramatic improvments