Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

why wont my 308 fire anymore? urgent help

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
Get a can of aerostart or start ya bastard. Take the air cleaner off and have someone help crank it over whilst you are spraying it into the carburettor. Of course make sure there is fuel in the tank. Can you see the jets spraying fuel when cranking and pumping the accelerator? Remember use long, quick strokes of the accelerator, not quick jerky levering.

Vk-5ltr Berlina

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk Berlina 308
yeah there is plenty of fuel bud
i can see it squirting out...
could i have flooded it man?

Vk-5ltr Berlina

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk Berlina 308
no luck i have turned the motor over without plugs, then installed new plugs and it chugged for a bit blowing heaps of smoke and had the same problems//
i have given up for tonight in fears of flooding it again.

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
If you did flood your carb, after an hour or so it would be cleared because fuel in an open space evaporates. Flooding I wouldn't be worried about. Take off spark plug one and crank it to make sure you are getting a spark. Have it shorted to ground to see a spark. Try aerostart like I said as this does wonders and can bring dead motors alive. Of course you need fuel in the carb but because it's a vapour, it ignites much easier, like lpg and can burn at any temp whether the motor is iced over or hot.

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
If my suggestions haven't helped, maybe if you have NRMA or RACV you could get them to have a look? They do this all the time. :)

bigg_vin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH V8
i think there are two seperate issues, the blue smoke, and the no-starting....
im guessing the the no starting is due to electrical issues or vacuum issues.... i would suggest checking all the small vac lines going into the carby, and the electrical lines from the battery to the starter, coil, etc... but if you have spark, then probably it will be a vac leak.... have you checked all your plugs, or just number one? the blue smoke is definantly burning oil, but you need the car running first to figure out where your oil leak into the block is..... is your radiator water milky? and is there water in your engine oil? just incase.... also check your engine oil level so you dont cease it..... hope any of this helps slightly.....

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
VK WAGZ 5.0L, GQ Patrol TD42
I know it sounds dumb, but have u made sure the leads are on the right spark plug?

When we washed the engine bay in our VH wagon, we removed the leads, and put them back on afterwards....it had a really hard time starting. It would turn over, and sometimes fire, but not enuf to keep it goin...but after about 10-15 mins of keeping on tryin it got to the stage where it was just run, but like a bush pig.....I even drove it to a job interview.....was the most frustrating drive ever.....it was running like a barge, and a lot of the time it wouldn't pick up speed. After a few days a mate came over and said he'd bet us $10 that we had the leads hooked up wrong. He changed them around, I turned the key and it went like a dream again haha.

So yeah, maybe just double and triple check ur leads, then get 2 mates to do the same and make sure they're right. We thought we had them on right, even double checked.....but still we f**ked up haha.

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
Haha yeah VH good story. Can't believe it took you so long before you figured it out! Man I put two of my leads around the wrong way in my 308 once and boy it ran like a total barge! From that day on it reminded me to look at the firing order on the manifold! :rofl:

fatboy2869

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 1982 commodore/WB ute x2 VP commodore
PM sent mate. But it might sound dumb but did u do it when the motor was hot if so u could of cracked or blown your head just a throught the other thing is what colour is the water in the rad

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
PM sent mate. But it might sound dumb but did u do it when the motor was hot if so u could of cracked or blown your head just a throught the other thing is what colour is the water in the rad
Yeah was she a hot engine before the rain hit her?

Maybe the battery's flat or has to much water in it... check your start motor yet?

Your air cleaner casing has no way of getting allot water into it?

Wiring could be wet, REPLACE YOUR PLUGS AND LEADS IF U REALLY WANT.

Dont take your dizzy out, just take the cap off and let it dry.

Invest in weather cover :)