Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Why wont my VT go hard when I accelerate??

ruggj

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Exec 01
Just an update to my post yesterday - my VT is fine if I manually select the gears (its an auto gearbox), or if I put it in "power" mode.

I have since read that the transmission shift points are controlled entirely by the PCM (which uses the throttle position sensor and the speed sensor to judge what gear to use). Perhaps in "economy" mode, it is just programmed to be a dog.

Thoughts?

i was told that in economy on 9c1 and bt1 police packs, if you put your foot down it shifts to second straight away. But maybe this is for all auto boxes im not sure. i know ive got a 9c1 and it definately does this.

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
Still sluggish up hills from start though but I guess it is a 6 afterall:(
Yea, fix to that is a supercharger! :p TRUST me! I was surprised how fast i could accelerate up a steep hill (proper road) in research! Really nice area! :yeah:

i was told that in economy on 9c1 and bt1 police packs, if you put your foot down it shifts to second straight away. But maybe this is for all auto boxes im not sure. i know ive got a 9c1 and it definately does this.
WHY would it shift straight into second? That's harsh on the motor! If you've got many problems with your car try take the battery off for 10 minutes and re-connect. Car will re-learn everything including when best to change gears (mine's still learning that today and i disconnected the battery 2 days ago).

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
All you guys with series 1 VT's might note that the series 2 tune is waaaaaaaay better, I believe they are interchangable. I'd be pretty sure the later VT's and the VXs are faster from the factory what do you think? is that how it works out on the street?

fitz_vt

Pass Me A Wrench.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore SII Olympic Edition
All you guys with series 1 VT's might note that the series 2 tune is waaaaaaaay better, I believe they are interchangable. I'd be pretty sure the later VT's and the VXs are faster from the factory what do you think? is that how it works out on the street?

my mate has a Series 1 and i have a series II and my tune setup and his are completely different even though they are both the same engine and we haven't modified the tuning setup.

gsxrdan

Has this got a turbo?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
93 VP Excec; 95 II VR Equipe; 99 VT Exec
my mate has a Series 1 and i have a series II and my tune setup and his are completely different even though they are both the same engine and we haven't modified the tuning setup.

they're different, but which takes the hills harder?? y'all should swap cars for a day and report back to us on consumption and driveability. if the tunes ARE interchangeable, is it then worth doing the change?
I know my VR takes my VT no probs, and has only basic mods (chip, cai, K&N). But the VT is stock and overdue its service and history is uknown - so maybe this service should be done by the pro's with a tech toy - will that show if any sensors are bung?
lol cos I figure the VT should go harder otherwise why does it have traction control?????:p

Ozzie

JCCC Warrnambool
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ozzie'z Supercharged VY Calais
I have a series 2 stage 4 performance chip installed now.

I got no problems with power;)

However the accelerater cable setup in a series 2 is still different, the cables shorter which means less friction and smoother on the pedal

fitz_vt

Pass Me A Wrench.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore SII Olympic Edition
they're different, but which takes the hills harder?? y'all should swap cars for a day and report back to us on consumption and driveability. if the tunes ARE interchangeable, is it then worth doing the change?
I know my VR takes my VT no probs, and has only basic mods (chip, cai, K&N). But the VT is stock and overdue its service and history is uknown - so maybe this service should be done by the pro's with a tech toy - will that show if any sensors are bung?
lol cos I figure the VT should go harder otherwise why does it have traction control?????:p

well my VT series II has no modifications and i recently serviced it myself and adjusted the base idle and did the same to Series .
the VT has a slight increase in Horsepower and torque but not by much the VT series.
I found to get approximately a 15% increase in go install Bosch platinum plugs and a K and N filter

Dr Info Red

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim V6 S2
I noticed this too when I compared my old VN performance to my new VT on the start for accelleration. There was no comparison. I was told the VT was programmed for better ecomony and safety reasons in the wet when accellerating from the start. It however goes really well once you get moving.
Doc