Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Why?

JSTCOZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VT S-Pack II
arent fords straight sixes rather than "v" like commys?

They all are up unitl next year (2011) when they have ditched the Aussie straight 6 and are now importing american v6's :) (btw there new BOSS, beats the crap out of the HSV sadly)

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
They all are up unitl next year (2011) when they have ditched the Aussie straight 6 and are now importing american v6's :) (btw there new BOSS, beats the crap out of the HSV sadly)

Get this lad a bib...

Most falcons weren't turbo charged from the factory up until the XR6-t anyway.
From everything I've seen most EL EB falcons are turbo charged after the fact. Happy to be proven wrong though.

stevebutler

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina S1
arent fords straight sixes rather than "v" like commys?

yes, its just a little something ive noticed is that ford always do a turbo 6, holden rarely do. Im just wondering why (i dont like turbos, reckon theyre ricer garbage, would rather have a v8)

stevebutler

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina S1
Its my firm belief that falcons inline 6 is a much better engine, always has been. You only need to look at the NEW VE commodore against the FG Falcon, Commodores new ecodrive engine sacrificed nearly 40 kw to the Falcon and only used 0.1l/100km less fuel. Holden need to stick with the VZ engine i reckon and just develope it further.

Or even back further the to pre VL red inline engines, they seem very rough i know by todays standards but back in those days the engine back in the x series falcons was just the same, ford just stuck with it as previously mentioned so ahd a much better platform to perfect their power plants. Maybe Holden should have followed the same philosophy, would be interesting to see what that old red engine would look like today if they had.

Sorry guys i just like musing :)

Last edited:

bogan_vk

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
i dont know about that they are guarranteed to blow a headgasket every 200,000 klms are a nightmare to work on when they build them they dont think about simple things like how the #### your going to change a set of leads putting the dizzy and coil under the intake manifold near impossible to get to ,fuel pumps constantly **** themselves and thats only a couple of things that go wrong with fords i know my last car was a pos el xr6

stevebutler

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina S1
i dont know about that they are guarranteed to blow a headgasket every 200,000 klms are a nightmare to work on when they build them they dont think about simple things like how the #### your going to change a set of leads putting the dizzy and coil under the intake manifold near impossible to get to ,fuel pumps constantly **** themselves and thats only a couple of things that go wrong with fords i know my last car was a pos el xr6

hm thats interesting, i know generally fords do their heads at around 250,000 and commys at 300,000. Simply because the long inline head is more prone to warping. I like the old red inline 6 though, my dads mates got one powering his boat, works a treat.

STEEV888

Reaction score
Members Ride
'95 200sx.
If Holden had gone down that same road, perhaps they might have developed a factory turbo model too, rather than just releasing the RB30 as a one-off model.
made me think... imagine if holden followed nissan and the vn - vs had rb25t and instead of the v8's had the rb26tt YUCK!

i know this is NOT a ford vs holden thread but you can chuck 10k into an LS3 and get 350kw at the wheels (460 odd fwkw) with maximum reliability just a bit thirstier

how much would it cost to do the BOSS ? i know throw a smaller pulley on it.. but will the engine last considering they needed to do so much maintenance to the design just so it would handle 335 fwkw

JSTCOZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VT S-Pack II
i know this is NOT a ford vs holden thread but you can chuck 10k into an LS3 and get 350kw at the wheels (460 odd fwkw) with maximum reliability just a bit thirstier

how much would it cost to do the BOSS ? i know throw a smaller pulley on it.. but will the engine last considering they needed to do so much maintenance to the design just so it would handle 335 fwkw

Stock though the best HSV gets owned by the new FPV with their new engine is what im saying. lol

Jezza

Now with LS1 power
Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman International
KPM (King Park Motorsport) in adeaide were the first to get the new fpv and it sounds like it can handle 400rwkws no problem and the new BOSS motor isnt intercooled so that when the GT-HO is released it will be and it could be a monster but its the falcons chassis that lets the car down as the HSV will corner much better then the current falcon