Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

WiFi Connection

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
I have recently changed to NBN and doing so have removed the old Bigpond WiFi modem and installed a Optus new one. The old one is completely unplugged, disconnected and turned off. Every now and then my Foxtel disconnects from the WiFi so I have to reconnect it. When going to the available networks, the old WiFi network is still listed and it still connects. When I select that network and "forget" it, the Foxtel box asks for the password for the Optus WiFi every time I do that. After I have done that, I can then also connect to the Bigpond network although no internet connection is available.

This happens to my other devices as well, I can connect to the Bigpond network on my phone just by clicking connect, no need to put a password in, however, I can't connect to it if I forget the Optus WiFi. Once I enter the Optus password to connect to that network, the Bigpond network is once again able to be connected to.

I thought it may have been the range extender I have in the bedroom that has the other Foxtel box connected to it via Ethernet, but I switch that one off and the Bigpond network is still there.

Anyone have any idea on what it could be?

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
ancient-aliens-guy.jpg

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
in all seriousness, it shouldn't happen. Is the password on the new box the same as the old box?

forget all WiFi networks, reboot foxtel and your phone then reconnect.

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
We have just moved into a new house, NBN estate so totally new modem. The wifi devices are sometimes still connecting to the ADSL2 modem that was in our old house. Very strange. I have had to forget the devices and connect to the new modem several times since moving in.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
Use a different ssid than the old modem

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
On one of my devices, I have to select 'Clear for all remembered networks'

If still causing issues for yourself, change the SSID like delcowizzid mentioned.

ads_german

Reaction score
How close are your neighbours? Could one of them possibly also have Bigpond internet from Telstra? Maybe they (Telstra) used a default SSID on the wifi modems they supplied? Might explain why the old wifi network appears to show up still, although I'd expect your devices to not be able to connect to it, rather than connect but have no internet access...

Whenever I've changed routers, I set the same SSID and wifi password on the new one, so none of my other devices need any changes to connect to it.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
SSID is different as it's a different modem and different carrier. The password is definitely different as it came with the modem and I haven't changed it. I've reset everything. I've forgotten all known networks. It's definitely not a neighbour because when I forget the Optus network I can't connect to the Bigpond network until I enter the Optus password again, then I can connect to the Bigpond network without having to put a password in.

Something has just triggered a memory, I'll have to check tonight. I have another range extender that may be plugged in so my kids can get WiFi down the other end of the house. I think that still has the Bigpond network name and the devices connect to that instead of the Optus modem. That would explain why it won't connect unless the Optus password has been entered as all it is doing is extending the range of the WiFi. Still doesn't explain why there is no internet connection when connected to that network though.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Yuk, never use default settings as it makes life easier for hackers.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
I had a good look around last night and could not find the other extender, I know it's plugged in as it comes up in the list of networks. I walked around the house and the strongest signal is where the modem is, but it's not in that room. I have looked in all the other rooms but buggered if I can find the bloody thing.