Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wii or PS3?

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Being a bit old school from the days of old when you had custom chips to run everything in computers and the days when frame rates were locked at 60hz I can not and never have been able to deal with the shonky graphics on pc games, sure they looky pretty standing still but it's the way the move, the way it feels, it's just no good, it doesn't feel solid like arcade game should. The Xbox and Xbox 360 feel very much like a PC ie. smooth for 10 frames then drops two, smooth for 20 and drops one. Younger kids can't seem to see this because they are used to it and will tell you wooooow man look how smooth this runs on my 4ghz uber pc, but when I'm beside them looking at it all I see is shonky direct x dropping frames all over the shop piece of junk :)? and most Xbox 360 games are only running at 30 frames.

The Nintedo consoles are slightly better but the games are a bit Duplo looking:). Really the only thing that's ever felt solid and hardware powered like a proper game machine to me is the Playstations and some of the Sega consoles so I'm sticking with that

VNCalais98K

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais no more
I won't be going with either format for at least two years even though we're ready for it because there's nothing wrong with DVDs at the moment.

I personally cant wait for a format to win and was considering ordering a toshiba HD DVD player from US just to be able to watch some high def action, but then figured i better wait for it to settle down first.

Having a high def LCD myself, i find standard DVDs just dont take advantage of it, and can look a little lacklustre on a larger screen.
I prefer the crispness of a high def picture.
Even downloading vids from Xboxlive on the 360, the 480p ones look like ass, and the 720p ones look heaps great.
On a standard def TV, you probably wouldnt notice as much, or get any benefit from HD DVD, but nowdays when gaming, broadcast TV and home videos can be easily shown in high def, its about time DVDs caught up.

VS Omega

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Omega
It's true that our HDTV's and 7.1 theatre configurations aren't being used to near their potential (I don't think the HDMI port will ever be used on our TV and I certainly don't know about 1080p - TV will probably break before we get something that can output at that) but I've got so many movies backed up which are unfortunately compressed I'm kind of used to the quality sucking, hell even Foxtel I think is only 480p which is gay..

But I do know exactly what you're talking about, when I just installed XBOX Linux it was set to 480P mode and I remembered how bad it was, then switching back to 720P (I don't like 1080i and XBOX can only do 720p/1080i max) the difference was unreal.

It's certainly the future and certainly picking up but I don't think now's the time, not for me anyway.. technology gets cheaper as it gets older.. when I can pick up a BD or HD burner for $400 I think that will be time for me to upgrade

VNCalais98K

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais no more
hell even Foxtel I think is only 480p which is gay..

Yeah, foxtel is only 480p, apparently due to contractual obligations they wont be updating to high def for a few years (a rumour i heard)

XBOX can only do 720p/1080i max

Originally yes, i dont know if you have Live, but the recent system update included support for 1080p and was released a couple of weeks ago.

VS Omega

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Omega
Yeah, foxtel is only 480p, apparently due to contractual obligations they wont be updating to high def for a few years (a rumour i heard)

Originally yes, i dont know if you have Live, but the recent system update included support for 1080p and was released a couple of weeks ago.

I'm talking about the original XBOX 1 man, it's physically impossible for it to push out a picture that high resolution from the 733Mhz Celeron / GeForce 3.5

Christina

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Almost genuine VT "S" + VZ "SS" Red Ute + Vk V8
oh yes, Happy WII day!

VS Omega

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Omega
Happy Wii Day!!!!

VNCalais98K

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais no more
I'm talking about the original XBOX 1 man, it's physically impossible for it to push out a picture that high resolution from the 733Mhz Celeron / GeForce 3.5

Hehe. Xbox 1... cuuuute.

Just jokes!

I only bought my first Xbox 1 about 2 months before the 360 released, before then I was sadsack sony fanboy.
Once i got the box, the PS2 never got used again, even GT4 wasnt enough to make me play it... I had forza, Halo, all the good **** on the xbox.
When you think about it, the PS2 never really had anything good... the best titles were all just graphical upgrades on PSX games.
At least a lot of the Xbox titles were original.

filthgrinder

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTS2
Wii All the way :D!!!!!!!!!

VNCalais98K

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais no more
I was so excited that i Wii'd myself...

Haww haww haww.