Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Will a 4x 50w amp power splits and 6x9's nicely?

ozzie_online88

I'm No Superman...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY S1 Exec
Hey guys n gals,

So I have got a set of Sony 60w (260w max) Component splits in the front of my car, n a set of 100w (300w max) 6x9's in the rear.

My current after market deck puts out about 20w to each channel by memory, n it gets pretty loud n clear but I want it to go just that little bit further as the deck maxes out at volume level 33.

I was looking at the following 2 sony amps;

50W x 4 XM4S http://www.sony.com.au/xplod/catalog/popups/printable.jsp?categoryId=22002&productId=XM4S
60W X 4 XMZR604 60W X 4 CHANNEL AMPLIFIER XMZR604

the first one is a lot smaller and nicer, but 10w's less per channel. Will either of these 2 give out the sound I am after?

in my last car i payed extra for a jaycar 100w x 4 amp, but always had the gain down quite low for the sound i was after.

Not interested in fighting over brands, as i get a great discount on sony gear :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Members Ride
falcon
if you dont have a sub dont need mono block
use the 4chan it will be fine
its not really about the watts but using good quality stuff

ozzie_online88

I'm No Superman...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY S1 Exec
Opps had the wrong link for the first amp, give that another look now

Personally I like the first one (50x4) due to the physical size, but I would get the bigger one if ya think it is worth the extra 10w per speaker (60x4)

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
I got a Alpine MRP-F250 or something like that, that puts out 50x4 Watts RMS and it is plenty loud enough. My splits and 6x9's are nicely powered with the gain only set at normal. They are loud enough to send you deaf when turned all the way up, so my verdict is that either of those sonys are good enough. Though i do agree with 1991_Vn2nV, in that I wouldn't by a Sony. I also think that $350-$400 is a bit overpriced for a basic 4-channel (even the description of the 2nd one says it entry level). I rather get a pioneer 4 channel like the GM-6300F, because they are last year models these can be picked up for a bargain price like around $250 or cheaper, and they will put out. But if you were keen on spending $400ish then have a look at the Rockford-Fosgate gear. I know my local Autobarn have a absolutly sweet 4 channel with like 100x4 Watts RMS for not that much more.

Just my 2 cents

-Adrian

ozzie_online88

I'm No Superman...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY S1 Exec
Totally agree with you guys, but actually only paying $150-$170ish depending on which amp. new ofcourse :)

Its who you know not what you know..aint that always right ;)

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
You never pay RRP on car audio so I would expect around $250 at JB's etc. for the 60wx4 so thats still very good pricing you are getting.

True. Any car audio place like, WOW Sight and Sound, Strathfield, JB, etc, are definately ripe for a good haggle. If you ever pay RRP then you are an idiot or a tool, pick one. I would expect at least 20% off.