Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Will it even be called VE?

ucwepn

America just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Website
www.darkcold.com
Members Ride
WH statesman 5.7
I'm guessin it may start with a Z designation because its a zeta platform. Could be way off tho because aren't the old fairlanes like zd and stuff like that?

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
VE, VF, VJ, VI and a possible VM there's never more than 5 sedans built on the same platform (4 is normal) so that should be all of them

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Juzza said:
Just in case anyone forgets:

VA - USED: (internal) Unreleased Torana
VA - Used (Internal) Unreleased Torana
VM - USED: (internal) Unreleased Commodore

Nybody got any info on the history of these two cars?

Cheers,
Michael

ciaranvt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore Exec.
Reaper said:

Cheers,
Michael

Not sure on the VA, but the VM (as far as i know) was a VN body with an RB30, in case the Buick wasnt ready for release.

phat_com

VR IS A BEAST WITH NEW V6
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR s2 Acclaim/VK IS GONE :(
Reaper said:

Cheers,
Michael
yea or some pics?

VS Omega

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Omega
I had some pics I found on the GMH-Torana forum a few years ago on my other PC but I can't find them now, basicly it looked sort of like a UC Torana

Read about the VM in a book called "Project VN", it's a fascinating insight into how they made the VN and how they put cars through their paces, if you ever see it grab it!

EDIT: Just found the google cache of the original post, it's long gone now (they upgraded and moved their forum): http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache...ewtopic.php?t=18195+&hl=en&gl=au&ct=clnk&cd=1

Spike79

Just Confused!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Adventra LX6, VP Berlina LX, Citroen C3
Juzza said:
Read about the VM in a book called "Project VN", it's a fascinating insight into how they made the VN and how they put cars through their paces, if you ever see it grab it!

Yeah i've got that one, Its a good read. Also "100 years of GM in Australia" is a good one plenty of info about prototypes - WA,VA,GTR/X,etc.

Sorry for the hijack! :hit:

H

HQ_Statesman

Reaper said:

Cheers,
Michael
VA - Used (Internal) Unreleased Torana

GTR-X Torana
1970 Concept Car

Back in the sixties Holden had been busy experimenting with quite a number of concepts such as fuel injection, over head cam-shafts and it was decided to design a Holden sports coupe on July 14th 1969. By December 15th the first body had been built which shows the effort and the outright determination of building a production lightweight sports coupe. After this the engineers started on the mechanicals which really had already been developed in the Torana which was developed on the track by Harry Firth and the boys. The Torana running gear seemed a perfect option and helped of course to drop the production costs which is why Holden developed the six cylinder race engine in the first place instead of continuing with the Chevrolet V8's and Monaro. There were certain criteria that this coupe had to meet if it was to become a production model and the most important was price! The Torana had the right ingredients in the suspension, transmission and engine departments. Wh at Holden did with these restrictions was nothing short of brilliant and it was a great shame it never made it to the production line. The GTR-X was loaded with features like 4-wheel vacuum assisted disc brakes, retractable seat belts, foam filled fuel tank and electric windows to name a few.

Holden_GTR-X_Concept_1970_001.jpg

http://www.canberratoranaclub.com/history/gtrx.htm

HOLDEN TORANA TT36 CONCEPT

Holden drew on GM global resources to build the Torana TT36 showcar, which is powered by an experimental 280kW twin turbo Alloytec V6 engine, sports a glass roof and showcases directional design themes.

Holden-TT36-Torana-Hatch-Concept-001.jpg

http://www.canberratoranaclub.com/history/tt36.htm

Evman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS M6
Bloody hell. Every time I see a photo of the TT36 I spend 5mins just staring at it haha. If that's a sign of things to come, I'm happy.

V

VX_KN079

Evman said:
Bloody hell. Every time I see a photo of the TT36 I spend 5mins just staring at it haha. If that's a sign of things to come, I'm happy.

Hahaha! You and me both... I can't wait to get into a brand new VE Commodore :)

Every time I see a nice VZ on the road I think "Nice... Wait a sec, the VE will be SOOOOO much better in design, technology, components etc - WAIT!!!"

Even dropped into my local dealer who told me not to quote him but he said "you're definitely better of waiting for the VE" and they're still months off! Now if he just wanted a sale, he'd have been "come and take this SV6 for a spin, you'll love it".

Mmmmm... VE SV6 Hot Hatch for me! :)