Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Will this 304 Combination Work?

VY_SP4C

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy SPac
Hi

I am just wondering if this is a combination that will work or am I probably going to have problems with it?

Gearbox strengthened rebuild to handle 650hp.
Transmission cooler.
Diff 3.7:1 LSD.
2500 Hi stall.
Cam crane 284.
Crane 1:65 adjustable roller rockers.
Flat top pistons to bring comp up to about 9.5.
Std Banana manifold with elbow ported.
70mm Throttle body.
Mace CAI.
Factory HSV VS extractors.
2.5'' high flow cat and 2.5'' cat back exhaust.
Kalmaker Tune.

I know there will also be machining work to 0 the heads and block, angle the valve seats, hone the bores or get them oversized and put larger pistons in
I also know I will need things like timing chain all new head internals would I need shot peened rods?

but would this combination be ok for a daily street driven vehicle and once in a blue moon run down the strip or a legal skid
or should I just bite the bullet and get the heads ported and polished and put the crane 286 and a 3000 hi stall in how much difference is there in the two are either of these cams any good for street driving?
Thanks

VY_SP4C

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy SPac
50 views and not a single opinion.

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 Caprice 355ci & VZ SS Ute
its depending on how much money you make. if youve got coin to keep replacing things that you bought brand new then go for the list above.

personally ive lived by the saying do it once, do it right. you cant have a tough streeter and daily. you gotta pick one.

me, id go 286 cam, 3-3500k stall. 3.9 diff. a proper exhaust, pacemakers with twin two and half system.

completely your choice on manifold. if you want to keep it stock looking then leave the banana. if you want to actually see a massive notice in power then put a torque power high rise or low rise.

mr j-man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 355
you say flat top pistons....then 0 decking block and heads??? that will bring the comp up to around 11:1 ish

if you going to go a flat tappet cam....why not go a solid flat tappet instead of the commonly used 284/286 hydraulic?.....something like the crane 280 solid for example.
if the cam and lifters are new youd want a new timing set too!!!

Shot peened rods???...not necessary!

stall converter for your cam suggestions will need to be more than 2500.....id say 3000 for the 284 and 3500 for the 286

get a decent twin exhaust system

a pocket port, bowl job and a nice set of valves will do wonders too......but the stock intake will choke its potential

What car is it in??

the above suggestions should see you into the 12 second bracket!!

Remember!! Horsepower doesn't grow on trees neither does money so you gotta decide what you really want out of the engine

VY_SP4C

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy SPac
Thanks everyone for the advice back to the drawing board to decide what I want to do.

mr j-man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 355
so your not going to build an engine then??
just another pipe dream perhaps?

VY_SP4C

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy SPac
the engine will be built. The gearbox and diff are out of the car at the moment while I wait for parts to arrive so they can be rebuilt. I have a crane 286 the roller rockers and lifters sitting in the cupboard I just thought the 286 was a bit extreme for a daily but now im thinking I already have them might aswell use them.

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
definitely got to do something about the stock intake
you won't come close to reaching that combos potential with the factory manifold.
There are quite a few good options, but unfortunately they all cost a fortune compared to US engine equivalents

VY_SP4C

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy SPac
yeah I understand that I would defiantly love a Group A manifold but cant find one let alone afford the price of one. I am not a huge fan of the old carby style look, apart from C.O.M.E who else makes a twin throttle body manifold?

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
I've got a twin throttle body Trickshift on mine. Kind of a poor mans Grp A manifold
http://trickshiftperformance.com.au/zencart/index.php?main_page=page_3

They work well mild to moderate combos. Mine picked up 25rwhp.
But they aren't cheap either, nearly $3K these days

There are some others around too if you are lucky & custom made ones on Ebay etc. Just be wary of the Ebay ones, some aren't overly well designed
Apart from the COME manifold & Trickshift

Motec/Flowcraft - very similar internal trumpet setup to the Grp A
pics003.jpg

Active TTB hat - fits onto a conventional carb style manifold
dh31tw.jpg

And the JHP Vehicle Enhancements/STARR manifold. Stock manifold with a larger neck fitted and 90mm T/B.
1000x1000.jpg