Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Will you ever buy another Holden?

AnotherSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V Redline Sportwagon
I don't like SUV's and neither does my wife, I like large wagons with plenty of go. Holden has been it for a while, but it took 20 years for them to build something that convinced me to give up on my V8 HZ wagon, since then I've had VT, VX, VE1, VE 2, and two VF wagons. The Sportwagon was a little shorter than I would really like after the VT through VZs.

The previews don't look promising, I won't be buying a 4 cyl turbo or a diesel. The current Insignia is a dud next to a VF, and I can't see any AWD non turbo V6 coming close to the 6.0 let alone the 6.2l. And as it doesn't have any heart tug of being Australian made either any other car maker that produces something like the VF Commodore will now have a look in for me but it will need to be pretty good.

So unless they give me something the same size or slightly bigger with as much or more power no more new Holdens.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
The OPC, which will probably be badged VXR (IMHO at least) will come closest to SS performanceyness.
That'll be 2L and turbo.
AMG's 2L turbo engine puts out more (power & torque) than my 6L VF.

SnowDoggyDogg

2ltr? = Only milk & juice
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
The AWD mk7 Golf Wolfsburg R wagon runs the 2l engine from the Golf R/Audi S3 and gets you to 100km/h quickly. Pity they were a limited series run of only a few hundred. I'd wonder though if that engine could stand the test of time.
The BMW i6 3l turbo is a stalwart engine that really launches whichever variants it's in (sedan, coupe, hatch, estate, convertible) and its rwd. With a plug n play JB4 tune box those bimmers are ridiculously fast in gear acceleration.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Let's just wind back to 1978...
If we had the internet, forums, and social media back then, we'd be reading the exact same thing!
This is exactly what people said back when this 'piece of crap' European designed car was released.
Funnily enough, here we all are today... driving a Commodore! ;)

Unfortunately I remember the late 70's and at the time the reaction was very positive. Holden did a good job with the Commodore introduction. They ran in in conjunction with the old Kingswood with the HZ and later WB carrying the luxo/commercial line. The VB interior was a chalk and cheese improvement (at the time) improvement over the HX/Z as was handling but the rest of the driveline was essentially the same which gave the public confidence.

The one problem they couldn't get over was that by the VH, which was essentially the same car the design was dating quite badly and the public were shifting back to the larger Falcon which by the XE was quite a good car (door handles not withstanding!).

jetfrost

Reaction score
Members Ride
Motorsport
I've been a Ford fan till the XE's left the Market, wasn't much of afan of XF's. The early Commodores were too small compared to the Fords and the Kingswood it replaced. Untill the VN came along with the Buick V6 Been a Holden driver ever sinve, When My17 VF2 SSVR comes out that will be the LAst one for me. That's End of the Line for me.