Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wilwood 320mm 4 piston brakes

SLE-883

Reaction score
Members Ride
1981 VH Commodore SL/E
Well a year later I finally bought myself a set of front brakes for the VH.

I went with a set of Wilwood 4 piston calipers running 290mm rotors. Main reason why I went for this was because the original 15inch wheels will fit over them and they are adr approved because they have the dust boot.

Bigfella237

Reaction score
Members Ride
More cars than I've got space to park!
From memory the Wilwoods don't have dust seals, so most people don't run them as they do not meet ADR's.
Yep, that information is about ten years out of date, but that's the internet for ya, never let the truth get in the way of a good story!

Planning to use Wilwood myself, the technical data on their website is outstanding.

Andrew

RACE5L

Solid cammed
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH 355
Great work Daniel. Mind throwing up a pic or two? 290mm as in VLT/VL V8/VN-VS rotors? Would be very interested as I want to keep VK Calais rims as a choice and the single pots locked up easily on an emergency brake yesterday when a car tried pulling into my lane on top of me. Cheers.

SLE-883

Reaction score
Members Ride
1981 VH Commodore SL/E
Yes, Standard VL turbo rotor size. Main reason why I went for this kit was because it is easy to get parts and the standard SLE rims will fit over them.

I've ordered a set of slotted rotors for the front and rear so I'll throw up photos once I get around to installing them.

Darryl68

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Berlina Wagon
Have you installed these yet ? I'm very interested in the same.

SLE-883

Reaction score
Members Ride
1981 VH Commodore SL/E
Yes installed them about a month ago. They look awesome and car stops a lot better than the standard brakes even with the standard booster and master cylinder. Very straight forward work too.

Heron SSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 NT Pajero Exceed, 1984 VK SL
I'm putting VT brakes on my VK, I've got the discs, calipers, lines, VT master cylinder and VS booster, do I need anything else apart from the hub adapters? Do the calipers use the standard VK mounting points? Was looking at the Willwood kit but the budget won't stretch that far

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
I'm putting VT brakes on my VK, I've got the discs, calipers, lines, VT master cylinder and VS booster, do I need anything else apart from the hub adapters? Do the calipers use the standard VK mounting points? Was looking at the Willwood kit but the budget won't stretch that far

yup... all bolt on

you may need to adjust the strut tower to master cyl brace
and also the booster pushrod
plus
you also need the master cyl line adaptors (the VK hard line ends are different to VT so you use adaptors)
get them from brake places (if you don't have the 3 of them)

Heron SSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 NT Pajero Exceed, 1984 VK SL
yup... all bolt on

you may need to adjust the strut tower to master cyl brace
and also the booster pushrod
plus
you also need the master cyl line adaptors (the VK hard line ends are different to VT so you use adaptors)
get them from brake places (if you don't have the 3 of them)

Thanks Smitty. What kind of adjustments do you mean? Are they minor ones or a bit of work involved?