Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

windows vista

JD

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.ccgm.au.tt
Members Ride
1.6L Turbo Holden Croooooooooooze
i would agree with juzza about xp, i have that and 98 and xp is just to suseptable to spyware/adware where 98 doesn't have any prob with that.

Darren

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
BYD Atto 3 / RAV4 Hybrid
The OS is only as good as the user, me personally I'm using XP on a number of machines and I can think of 1 instance where I've had to format a machine because of virus or spyware infection.

Ubuntu, Gentoo, Suse, they are all open same :p I'm using Ubuntu Server as a server obviously and Suse as a desktop when windows isn't running. It's not all what's it's cracked up to me, sure if your the average joe blow using it for web browsing, school projects your going to be fine but if your like need and need certainly functionality which at this stage linux doesn't have your kind of stuck.

I will say though it is getting better and better all the time to back when I first dabbled with it back around the RedHat 6.2 days.

Anyways back on track, Vista isn't too badly priced, well in comparison to the pricing I've heard recently anyway.

Home Basic
Windows Vista CD 32bit $138.60
Windows Vista DVD 32bit $134.20
Windows Vista DVD 64bit $135.30

Home Premium
Windows Vista DVD 32bit $169.40
Windows Vista DVD 64bit $170.50

Business
Windows Vista CD 32bit $217.80
Windows Vista DVD 32bit $213.40
Windows Vista DVD 64bit $215.60

Ultimate
Windows Vista DVD 32bit $289.30
Windows Vista DVD 64bit $289.30

No I'm not going to buy it for anyone at that price :) but it gives you an indication of how much you should be paying.

maxy0987

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Exec S2
But that is OEM prices Darren, retail prices will be double that :(

ProphetVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
A Pushie
But that is OEM prices Darren, retail prices will be double that :(
So use it as an opportunity to upgrade and buy the OEM version... Buying a $400 worth of hardware will allow you to buy an OEM version.

As for Linux, its so overrated, I used to use it all the time when I was at uni, but for the work I do now, development in alot of .NET applications for our clients, among other languages, its just a major hassle to use linux. If you set up your windows machine correctly, setup your network properly and keep your system up to date, you have no problems.

Linux is fine if you can live with using the bare minimum, ie internet browsing with poor plugins and java support, email, IM clones etc etc.

vr_owner

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr 3.8lt executive
only happened as of late, and only the second time. First time about a week ago, i left it on the desktop and when i had come back it had rebooted and was telling me about hdd errors. Secondly, about 20 mins ago when i was writing in this thread, it just siezed up and did the same thing when i reset it. I might backup the stuff on my hdd after just in case.
do you know how to turn off the restarts if something goes wrong, to get the bsod? i cant remember at this moment but maybe someone can explain because if you get the bsod write down the code it maybe able to help out a bit more

Mr Squishi

Need Beer.
Reaction score
Members Ride
1989 VN SS (Auto)
I may get vista, but I'll wait about a year after my friends all get it to see if it works.
I wont pay money for it though. And it's not piracy because my first PC had Win ME installed. SO MICROSOFT F**KING OWES ME!

I almost agree with ProphetVX's opinion on Linux, I don't like it much for desktop stuff, but it makes an awesome server.

PaRaDoX

Because Racecouch...
Reaction score
Members Ride
none
funny fact of the day, Cisco officially refers to the error blue screen as the "Blue screen of death" funny as hell, and bags the crap out of microsoft in several chapters in their online material..

if i had time to fiddlez with my pc id have vista installed, i find XP quiet pathetic but does the job, i HATE the thumbnail + DivX error, you know the one where it try's to render a picture and ends up crashing explorer,

some people say booting off sata is problem-matic, but ive been doing it for 3 years... bsod is usually a hardware error, id say your motherboard (if the sata controller is onboard) is a peice of ****... let me geuss its a AMD based system??? (got sick of replacing my motherboard weekly when i had a athlon)

visual effects arnt the only improvements in vista im sure, and good about time windows firewall packed up and left..!

i want to know what the compadibility is like, i hated the fact that win2k/XP were incompadible with most Win9X applications (due to the fact they removed DOS and replaced it with a terminal emulator)

is windows VISTA compadible with all the software that winXP is???

i laugh at people that say "man SCREW WINDOWS, IM GONNA USE LINUX/MAC"

sure linux is a AWESOME O/S but really only useful in text based mode for server applications, and Mac... well enough said

yes microsoft are a pain in the ass but its the most compadible operating system to date, so stop ya whinning, if it wasnt around then we'd still be sitting round listening to the radio, watching tv and having random sex orgies (thats what they did before computers right??)

Spaced

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VS Commodore Exec
You got to love the first release of Windows xp though where if it blue screened it wouldn't display a message it would just do a softboot. I work with XP and I don't have many issues. I still think it runs like crap and xp was just 2000 with a new skin (basically).

You want to run a server get linux runs for like a year without a reboot. I reboot our 2000, 2003 servers every thirty days. They get strange after that. For noobs I think linux is a great idea. Install word processor etc and show them how to get to the internet. Set it up to update automatically and leave it. I have to rebuild my parents xp machine every six months because they get viruses etc (friggin sister and msn).

Linux is more secure because less people write viruses and less people know how to hack it. And who hates free stuff and who likes bill gates?

And also I wont run vista, it will make my computer run slower because of all of the extra "features" and I expect a lot of issues with security till they get their first service pack at least.

maxy0987

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Exec S2
To stop the auto reboot:
Rightclick on My Computer > Properties
Advanced Tab
Start Up and Recovery Settings

make sure the restart box isn't checked ;)

padrickz88

Rick =]
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VN V6, nothing special
haha im not even going to bother with paying full price for vista...... just give my mate $10 and get him to burn his school one for me:D i cant do it myself because im not at highschool anymore:( HAHA and xp is still going good:D and im sure it wouldnt just be a theme change, they probably just copied xp, added some adware or spyware, add an update version of all the apps that come on xp and some little extra things that you will have problems with.... got to love microsoft:D:D (not)