Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wire Size!!!

m1lky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Relay uses the original circuit only as a switching trigger. The power for the LEDs is drawn directly from the battery on the new wire. Think of your starter motor. There are only small wires going to the key, but when you turn it the power flows down the large wire to your starter.

rory

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 VF SV6 & 2006 Nissan Patrol ST
The main problem with just using a switched + is that if you load up the circuit too much you might blow a fuse or worse melt wiring, the relay would simply switch on the seperate circuit and keep it all seperate but all on at the same time. Milky's example is perfect, a relay essentially removes the new load from the original circuit and puts it on a new circuit.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
Simply it's not about just grabbing the thinnest wire you can find, even though led's draw 2/5's of sfa you still need to run a wire suitable for the environment that they're in to power them.
1 you need to work out what current draw they actually use, 2 you need to use an appropriate gauge wire for the situation.

you could possibly easily use awg30 wire, now this might work great until you bump it or drive over a pot hole as it's a single strand wire that's approx 0.20mm thick..... impractical for use in a car

so find out how much they draw and go from there.

Jake.7410

Reaction score
Members Ride
Alrighty well can someone draw me up a wiring diagram from battery to fuse to relay to switch to LEDS please? It would be a great help thankyou

Jake.7410

Reaction score
Members Ride
I will tonight if no one else gets on it first. Just out at the moment
Thanks man,also could you state what relay I need.. I just had a look and there is so many hahaha

m1lky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
12v, normally open, min 15a rating

rory

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 VF SV6 & 2006 Nissan Patrol ST
milky was talking about the relay, a relay like that would do what you needed, just ask for that. basicly if you put a current between 2 terminals of it, it should click on. also do make sure that it is normally open so that it turns on at the right time. below is a ms-paint drawing of what you need to do to make this work, also a picture of my wire through the firewall (the white one). the fuse should just be attached inline between the battery and the continuing wire. anything else that you need help with? IMG_0414.jpgUntitled.png

Jake.7410

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks so much for that just one thing... Do I just replace acc power with a switch?