Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wl caprice aftermarket stero install issue

Michael_Wl caprice

Reaction score
Members Ride
WL caprice
Hi guys and girls. I have recently purchased a wl caprice. And decided the stock stero just wasnt cut out for me. I would rather the option to play usb aux bluetooth all that fun stuff. So upon purchasing an aftermarket head unit i have ran into a problem. I cant seem to get any sound to play. While the head unit is working and shows the track playing there is no sound. I asume this is because of the factory amplifier that comes with the caprice? I was told to connect the blue wires to the red power and bridge that connection to make the stock amp turn on ive done that and nothing changed.. has anyone had similar issues? I was considering re wiring all the speakers directly to a new unit and by passing the amp and original factory plugs so the option is there to go back to original if i wanted to. Would also mean i wouldnt have to find and splice the original wires.

Thanx in advance for any advice

statey1975

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Statesman
Did they happen to sell you a wiring harness kit as well? saves having to splice into anything. With one of those, I didn't have to splice into anything....

Also bear in mind that these things have like 10-12 speakers so if you wire direct from the head unit to the speakers you'll lose the use of like 6 speakers (including the subs in the rear parcel shelf)

MRCAPRICE03

Reaction score
Members Ride
wk caprice—e3 r8 maloo
Reviving an old thread i know but im kinda in the same boat here, the factory amp i can sus that out and bypass it thats no big issue but i removed the std HU and noticed theres 2 aerial connections? Why? and its on the opposite side to the new HU lol. Have people just relocated the one they need or is there something im not thinking of? All help/advice appreciateed.

statey1975

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Statesman
The factory amp isn't that bad really, I just got one of those Aeropro adapters when I put my Alpine unit in my WK.

There are actually two antennas in the car, the one you can see and another one in the rear window I think. It's supposed to help reception. I believe you can just buy adapters to connect the two plugs into one input.

MRCAPRICE03

Reaction score
Members Ride
wk caprice—e3 r8 maloo
Ah rito yea thats good then i was just going to use the one that worked lol, what about steering wheel controls? Some reason i have multiple parts of the harness that go from the box to the hu do i have to splice into the factory harnes anywhere to get them working, its all the aerpro plug n play kits i have

statey1975

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Statesman
Go speak to the guys at Autobarn. It's been a few years since I did mine, but I think there was an additional adapter to make the steering wheel controls work. It wasn't cheap, but I did buy it and it worked flawlessly.

statey1975

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Statesman
This is the harness I had. The black plug connected to the vehicle's wiring loom, and the end with all the bullet connectors connected to the appropriate wires coming out of your head unit. All the wires are labelled so you just match them up to the head unit's wiring diagram - I think the colours were pretty much the same too.

*edit* if I remember rightly now, the harness came with plugs on the other end, I had to cut them off and put the bullets on because they didn't fit my head unit.

The black box is the controller for the steering wheel controls, and the plug on that should just plug into your head unit somewhere.
20180104_164352.jpg
20180104_164358.jpg
20180104_164404.jpg

Last edited:

MRCAPRICE03

Reaction score
Members Ride
wk caprice—e3 r8 maloo
Ledgend, yeah thats the kit i bought but with the hu came 2 other swc plugs, had me scratching me head.
I have the control box n all was wondering where it went