Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wm creaking suspension.

ringfeder3

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ssz crewman, wm caprice, 2018 prado, hq Belmont u
My wm Caprice had a rattle in the front suspension so i had the strut top bushes replaced by a mechanic mate as a favour (no labour costs). I had a wheel alignment done after the bushes were installed.

On the way home from having it done (500 km), I started to notice that (at low speeds) the suspension would creak terribly when steering was applied. The car sounded like a bloody tall ship on the high seas.... There weren't any noticeable rattles at highway speeds though.

I took the car into a mechanic once I got home who diagnosed that the upper strut nuts hadn't been tightened sufficiently. He tightened them up and I noticed that the car was pulling very slightly to the left. I drove it down and got another alignment done. No creaks or rattles so far...

After collecting the car from the tyre place, the creak was back: worse than ever.

I took it back to the mechanic who'd tightened the struts up. We were able to pinpoint the creaking to the area of the bushes that had been replaced.

The mechanic was confused. He said the new bushes may have been faulty or having been loose, become damaged. Being two days before Christmas, he can't fit it in for a full assessment. A quick look led him to think all other bushes looked ok.

The creak sounds like hard rubber grinding against something equally as hard.

Has anyone got any ideas as to a cause? Is this common?

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
What strut tops were used?
Factory or aftermarket?

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Won't really know until you get the struts out, but it almost sounds like they forgot to put the bearings in.

ringfeder3

Reaction score
Members Ride
Aftermarket. I've used them before so tg h no problems

jeffmills69

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE Wagon
What brand? I replaced my strut tops with cheap ebay ones and had creaking, replaced them with KYB a week later and the creaking disappeared. If I did have to buy new ones I'd probably go with superpro polyelast (pretty sure they're not as stiff as the polyurethane ones) but still no complaints from KYB.. Definitely worth spending a bit more as you won't be changing often and save time and money on labour.

Also when the strut tops were removed was the top hat aligned correctly with the sway bar link mount? There's a small "W" shaped cutout on the tophat that needs to line up with where the sway bar links bolt onto the strut

ringfeder3

Reaction score
Members Ride
Solved. Strut inserts replaced. Now tight and quiet as a mouse.

Wmstatobrando

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wm statesman v6 2006
My car rattles over bumps and pulls to the left would that be the same problem you had