Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

WM Statesman/Caprice... anyone driven one?

Reaction score
Members Ride
Audi A4 Quattro B8
Hey all, I always like to think ahead and today is a slow work day so why not post it.

When my current car, WK Caprice is off the lease I'm thinking of upgrading to a BMW 3 Series, Merc C Class (probably not though due to quaility control issues) or maybe even a WM Statesman or Caprice.

The thing with the Holden is that its so darn cheap for what you get. I mean I bought my Caprice for a fraction of the new price.

So this brings me to my question. What is your verdict on the WM? Any better then the WK/WL? I'm not a big fan of the interior but maybe it will grow on me... What about driving it? Is more refined then previous models? Are there any common faults/bugs with the car?

Last edited:

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
Having never driven a previous model Statesman (apart from SII VS) I can't really compare.

I have found my car brilliant to drive. Heaps of room, great standard features an d reasonable power (even from a 6). I haven't had any major issues (apart from the **** side indicator lenses) in the 9 months I have owned it. In my opinion the Stato suspension is waaay too soft for my liking but if a smooth ride is what you are after then you are on a winner. The interior is neat as but the fake wood grain looks like major homo arse. Don't get the cream interior unless you love cleaning. I had a look at a few on the lots and they were all filthy inside.

Whether or not the price of a Caprice over a Statesman is worth it is really a matter of opinion.. but I love mine and would only sell it if I was to upgrade to a European car. You have to remember that at the end of the day they are built on more or less the same production lines as an Omega so don't expect awesome quality.. cos after all, Australian cars are built to a pretty low standard over something from (for example) BMW or Mercedes. Onlyreason I would go Euro over Aus is for over all build quality.. you might not get the same 'amount of car' for your money but they would generally be much better finished.

Reaction score
Members Ride
Audi A4 Quattro B8
Just want to bump this up to see if anyone else has had the pleasure to drive one.

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
Twice a week without fail from Melbourne Airport to the City or vice versa. Back seat though.

They're nice, but the hire car driver I use had a loan from Skoda one day (he has a contract to drive the Skoda bosses) so he could promote the car for them. The new Skoda Superb. It's BRILLIANT if you can get past the badge, it's basically all Volkswagen gear and quality shits on Holden - plus it has more features than the Caprice. It's just not as wide overall but really, how often do you travel with 5 in the car? If you're interested in quality, there is always better out there than Holden. And now there's a Euro option that's both better AND cheaper. And with a 1000km range in the diesel.

Don't get me wrong, the Caprice does its job well. But it needs to do it better to compete in the quality stakes.

Reaction score
Members Ride
Audi A4 Quattro B8
TThe new Skoda Superb. It's BRILLIANT if you can get past the badge, it's basically all Volkswagen gear and quality shits on Holden -

I probably couldn't get past the badge :-(. I cant say I'm a fan for the supurb. If I could get past the badge the exterior styling is a bit no for me too. If I were gonna go for something like this, I'd look at a VW Passat. Also, if the gearbox is the same as that of Audi (not sure if it is) I probably wouldn't go for it. Heard bad things from owners; after the car gets on in years costing big $$$ for transmission issues. Quite common from what I've been reading.

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
Merc doesn't seem to be the answer for build quality at the moment either. I know two people driving near new mercs (ML350 and a Bclass) and both will be turfing them soon. The B was in an accident with a semi where not one airbag was deployed yet the car was a write-off and the ML drives and rides no better than a grand vitara (which really aren't bad for the money) but when you're paying $150k plus, you'd want something a lot better than a 30k Suzuki. Also the list of rattles, creaks and squeaks is endless. Seems that build quality is a lost art the world over.

SIDISV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
SV6 UTE
I agree with tinsnips. My dad's got a R350 and has had nothing but problems. He has had never ending problems with the glass roof, to the point where an entire new unit was brought in from overseas. The electronic tailgate always screws up and on a couple of occasions the tailgate has had to be realligned due to the roof twisting. Also, the front headrests have a system where the pop forward in the event of a collision to prevent whiplash, for no apparent reason each of the headrests popped forward at different times (no collision) ... go figure. There is also a never ending collection of rattles, noises and creaks during normal driving. Most of the problems seems to be associate with the glass sunroof but faulty safety mechanisms are reason for concern. What I have noticed though is that all these problems are in vehicles built outside of Germany. The ML and R are built in USA and im pretty sure the C is built in germany, brazil and south africa but i'm not sure which ones are imported into australia.
I haven't driven a WM and nor has dad but he never had this many problems with his VY clubsport.

jasonsv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SR POS
merc build quality has bee an issue for 10 years now. so much that the tearm built like a merc is somthing you wish to avoid

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
If I were gonna go for something like this, I'd look at a VW Passat.

CSP has (had..? dunno now cos he changes cars like underpants) a Passat. Awwwwesome car! Build quality shits all over anything locally built and also goes like a cut snake. I am pretty sure that I'll be looking Euro for my next car.

capricious

Reaction score
Members Ride
wl caprice
Well after owning a c class merc for a few years I can only say that it is a very nice and comfortable POS. Bought a WL caprice 5.7 at christmas and have found it better featured, faster, more comfortable, heaps roomier and cheaper. I will admit that it is just not as 'nice' inside. The best thing about the holden is the fact that i won't need a second mortgage to get it fixed. Also if you are outside a capital city you can just about forget about getting it repaired for anything major. Had to send the merc from Mackay to Brisbane to get the gearbox repaired, the mercedes quote was, i kid you not... $20000. I will never buy european again, Ford just doesn't have anything luxurious enough so from now on it is pretty much caprice (or grange if i can) for me.