Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

WM Statesman/Caprice... anyone driven one?

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
Yeah Troy... The R36 is still going strong.

rjp

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice with LS3
In August last year, I had the choice of a two year BMW 325 with 50,000 klms or a two year old Caprice with 10,000 klms for the same price.

The BMW was nicely finished and all that, but it was harsh to drive with the run flats on it. The Caprice is bascially a stretched Commodore, with all their inherent build quality. However, of the two, the Caprice was a more enjoyable drive. It's more sporty than the Statesman from the factory. As I lease my cars, I don't have the option anymore for wholesale suspension changes like I used to. (I have my 'weekend' toy in the shed that I take out my frustrations on....)

In the end, I chose the Caprice. The final decision came down to the ongoing maintenance costs and easibility to service. The resale value at the end of the lease was actually quite close, but then I'd have to try to sell a 7 year old car with about 180,000kml on it. My rekoning is that I can offload the Caprice the easiest (At the time, I had to move my VS SIII Statesman with 250,000kmls. It sold in less than a day....)

I get all my mecahical work done locally (I live north of Canberra). So my local mechanic can do the majority of work on the Caprice; excepting warranty and major code rectification as he doessn't have the diagnotic ability to do so.

However, he could do no work on the BMW; as the tyres were run flats it had to go to a tyre shop that had the appropriate machines to cope, all the servicing had to be done by either BMW or the local BMW alternate (who works around the corner from BMW...) which entails a 120km round trip.

I've had a few minor issues with the Caprice, but so far all covered by warranty. But my regular services are about the $300 mark compared to $1000 for the BMW. A contractor at work has an X5. He's considering going to Sydney for his services from now on due to the high cost of local service.

So given my time again, I'd still pick the Caprice. If you need a large car to cover lots of klms with ease and comfort you can't beat it. Remebering it is a very large car, so it's not at home in suburban shopping centres.....

cheers

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
Dope. When you get back to Canberra we will have to have another bull **** & beer sesh :D

Deal! My new place though... Pretty much moved in (still commuting to Melb. Mon-Fri though - having a sicky one of those days for a photo sesh with Craig too) but will be in Sydney this weekend! Will let ya know.