Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

WN Statesman capriceV Key Fob issue

vzcalais04-190

Reaction score
Members Ride
Calais VZ 190
Hey all.

Just want some advice. I have a 2014 WN 6LTR Statesman CapriceV.

I've had the casing for the fob key replaced and it worked great for 2 weeks. Now it started playing up. I have to be close to the car to open or lock doors. Mine has the pre-start well that stopped working. I get in the car and open the console insert the fob into the sleave for it and push the start button and it starts up.

Update: Now it won't open or lock the car.

If I don't do this, it won't start and doesn't recognise the key. Brand new battery in the fob key [remote].

Does this sound like a BCM issue? Anyone had these issues or know what kind of of tests can be done. Any help is appreciated.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Why was the key replaced before?

Inside the key is a small transponder embedded in the plastic of the case. It is that transponder that needs to talk to the key reader which is fixed to the steering column, on the bottom of it.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Let’s not jump to “It’s the BCM”. That is like someone getting in a punch in the face and responding with a tactical nuclear weapon.

There is a fair bit between the BCM and the Key reader. It is a CANbus module.

The key reader is made from a fragile plastic. They can break where it is mounted with a screw and come loose. This means the reader is not in an ideal position to read the transponder embedded in the ey body.

*The transponder is not in the circuit board. It is not connected to the circuit board. It is embedded in the key shell.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Why was the key replaced before?

Inside the key is a small transponder embedded in the plastic of the case. It is that transponder that needs to talk to the key reader which is fixed to the steering column, on the bottom of it.
Are you sure about the transponder chip?
I know it applies to VE/WM, not so sure about VF/WN?

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride