Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wobbles after wheel swap

Rusty

٩(-̮̮̃•̃)۶
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt with VU/VZ bits
Is there plastic rings around the hub that the wheel fits over? If so, remove these and the rim will sit flush.

RIMG1071.JPG Not to my knowledge, only the pictured rubber thing (Bearing seal - "Pickle'" helped me with that one)

Pickle'

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
Not to my knowledge, only the pictured rubber thing (Bearing seal - "Pickle'" helped me with that one)

Mate, Listen to ricey. Very helpful. I cant help much, i only know what i know by ####ing my own car :p. Good luck with it and please let me know how you get on.

Edit: looking at that picture, i dont believe the studs are bent. If they were (correct me if im wrong) but the wheel would have free play that you would be able to feel when the car is jacked up (as the nuts wouldn't tighten fully). Thats just my theory i may be wrong.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
If thats a pic of a VR hub with that rubber spacer thing on the hub centre, then I dont think that rubber spacer is supposed to even be there. Ive never seen that rubber thing on the hubs of any other VR or VS, Maybe it was used when fitting certain types of aftermarket wheels, I dont know. Theres certainly no mention of it, and its not shown in any of the pics in the VR or VS workshop manuals, Id just remove it and see how the wheels fit then. Ive also got 3 VR's sitting in my yard I use for spares,and none of them have it either.

madnuts

Lives around high voltage
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Commonwhore
the rubber is to help rims fit better take it off and see how you go

A7 Customs

Reaction score
Members Ride
SV6 VZ and VP wagon for burnouts
The rubber ring that sits on the hub is after market. They come with new wheels as it makes sure when you put the wheel on that it is on square and home on the hub. Make sure that you are centering the wheel on the hub and when you tighten it up it bolts up flush with the face of the hub. The wheel can be bolted up and feel and look tight but infact it is not square on the hub. What will happen is the wheel will then center its self after some driving then it will begin to shake and if not retightened it will shear all of the wheel nuts clean off. I would get the tyre shop to chuck it on the balancer nand check for warped rim and balance. Also it could be the tyre delaminating. When the tyre effectivly starts to unstich itself and forms a lump on the tread but is some times hard to see. this will cause a massive shake. I have seen this happen to even near new tyres and is some times hard to see. spin the wheel and feel the tyre tread for any bumps. Get a mechanic to check the wheel bearing its easy and a ten second job but best to get a profesional opinon on it. Becareful not to over tighten the wheel nuts to. New falcons and Commies have reaaly soft studs and are easy to stretch.85ft pounds i use. Good luck!!!

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
As said remove that rubber/plastic ring its for aftermarket wheels mate.

Pickle'

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
Appologies Rusty, I have mislead you there. As i said i was unsure, but i have had one like that on my old vr and i believe i have one on my ve now too (both aftermarket rims). Sorry about that, Was only tryna help out.

Rusty

٩(-̮̮̃•̃)۶
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt with VU/VZ bits
Thanks for all the info guys, much appreciated! I will cut the rubber thingo off and see how we go.

All good "Pickle", without you helping me bump it up I would probably still be researching all this stuff. No one here is a 100% expert so I seriously appreciate any advice, suggestions and feedback!

I will unleash the stanley knife and let you all know how it went, thanks again guys.

Rusty

٩(-̮̮̃•̃)۶
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt with VU/VZ bits
Crisis averted! You guys are champions! Turns out it was the spacer causing the issue. Unsure how it got on the hub in the first place and got me stuffed why it is starting to cause issues now. I will go through the rest of the wheels and see if they have them on as well ( I seem to remember seeing them but could be wrong).

Thanks heaps guys, I will be donating to JC later this evening thanks to all you helpful buggers!