Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wont start when cold, starts perfectly once started

audeeyo

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 vz wagon
Hey guys, my vz won't start when it's cold. I turn the key and nothing happens. It will allow me to crank after system check. It cranks for ages and after 3 or 4 tries or more it starts. After if fires up once, It cranks and starts normally.

The battery is a bit old but I had it tested and passed. I'm really looking for some help as the previous owner accidentally forget to tell me this issue.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Hey guys, my vz won't start when it's cold. I turn the key and nothing happens. It will allow me to crank after system check. It cranks for ages and after 3 or 4 tries or more it starts. After if fires up once, It cranks and starts normally.

The battery is a bit old but I had it tested and passed. I'm really looking for some help as the previous owner accidentally forget to tell me this issue.
Start by cleaning connections to battery and starter motor as well as remove clean refit all earth connections and
charge the battery for about 36 hours.
If that don't work then change the remote battery or get a new remote
I think I did a how to a long time ago on here
From there possible new battery or new starter
I had similar problems for years and fixed it with new starter

audeeyo

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 vz wagon
Thanks, can do. Will a starter motor and earths work better once warm? im just cautious as a battery is $240 and it wouldnt hurt to have a new key as a spare but cheapest quote was $200, and i think it was a key / immobilizer issue it would happen intermittently, not just when the engine is cold. However i dont know thats why im reaching out lol

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Start by cleaning connections to battery and starter motor as well as remove clean refit all earth connections and
charge the battery for about 36 hours.
If that don't work then change the remote battery or get a new remote
I think I did a how to a long time ago on here
From there possible new battery or new starter
I had similar problems for years and fixed it with new starter
And check ALL the connections on the Starter Motor,
I found the battery lead wasn't very tight on my VZ

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Thanks, can do. Will a starter motor and earths work better once warm? im just cautious as a battery is $240 and it wouldnt hurt to have a new key as a spare but cheapest quote was $200, and i think it was a key / immobilizer issue it would happen intermittently, not just when the engine is cold. However i dont know thats why im reaching out lol
Hot metal/connections expand so they may make better contact when hot.

As for the remote I changed the battery a few times now without issue.
Pry the case open and use a snap off blade to lever (along with maybe a small screw driver) the tabs from the existing battery , bend the tabs toward the battery area so the tabs contact the new battery when you slip it in.

Batteries available $3 or $4 Coles etc
Contrary to popular belief, the batteries don't need to be soldered/attached to the tabs.
Small spot of super glue on a couple of spots on the remote before closing it.
I have 2 remotes been working fine after replacing batteries a few years ago.

But clean (with emery cloth/sand paper/cleaning tools) all connections first bc as I said I ended up (after 7 years) fitting a new starter and found the old starter (original) was full of carbon from the brushes.

New starter about $90 on ebay.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Battery in the key won’t be a player here. Even with a flat battery in the key, it is then powered by a 3v input from the slip ring and the pin on the key. Earthed via the ignition barrel and the key blade.

audeeyo

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 vz wagon
I think i found a massive clue! The speedo needle is moving up and down when the reds are on, when im trying to start it already thinks the car is driving? its giving me seatbelt warning and park brake warning while cranking. If i sit there and wait for the speedo needle to stop, it starts!

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Remove and clean all harness earths.
Remove and clean all battery cable earths.
Clean the positive terminal. Check and clean the positive on the alternator. Clean the threads on the bolts and screws holding them

A little brass brush does the job and some CO Contact cleaner. I think it was @lout that uses some anti corrosion spray or something.

Let’s rule out basic weak points that cost very little money to do.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Agree with Fu above, but after that, stop stuffing around and replace the battery. You can get a Century 58 MF for your car for $172 at Supercheap at the moment. Trying to persevere with a suspect battery is a recipe for (mental) disaster. Been there, done that!

audeeyo

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 vz wagon
Agree with Fu above, but after that, stop stuffing around and replace the battery. You can get a Century 58 MF for your car for $172 at Supercheap at the moment. Trying to persevere with a suspect battery is a recipe for (mental) disaster. Been there, done that!
I decided this and grabbed a good one today. For that exact reason. Unfortunately it didnt solve it, but i have new battery for testing everything else

Im thinking it might have something to do with speedo sensor or an earth as been suggested.

thanks again everyone