Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Worth replacing spare's tyre?

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
god dunno how you guys drive, destroying tyres, screws in tyres etc ,
Im a tradie and spend almost all day everyday either driving or on site, theres as much contruction here in brissy as elsewhere im sure,
i havent destroyed a tyre or had a screw in one for 10 yrs or more,

maybe im just lucky LOL

Nek minnit....

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I agree.
My box trailer tyres are 12 years old ex spare wheels, no bumps, no perish, load it up with 1 tonne +, all good.
My trailer tyres are 14 years old and still fine and were on the caravan for 6 years before swapping them to the trailer. Not sure if because they are light truck makes any difference but my single axle box trailer has had close to 1300kg gross in it at times.

Mike Litherous

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE ssv
I had some continental sport contact 3’s on an old bmw c/2008 and had heaps of tread left but stuff all grip. Prob ok for a spare.

I drove on some old Michelin TRX metrics c/1984 and it felt like the car had 150more bhp as it would light up in the dry more frequent than Don Burke fantasising about sex with animals.

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
Hey all,

Recently had a flat and swapped over to my spare wheel. Pretty sure the thing's never been used though since the car came from the factory (usual new tyre issues which went away after a few km). So that's 9 years.

Is it worth replacing the spare's tyre or should it be right considering I'm only ever using it in emergencies?
look on tyre side wall you'll see in small numbers like 40 09, tyre made in 40th week of 2009.

Just checked my spare and its 46 07 brand new bridgestone 245 45 18 11 yrs old just using it as a spare

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Although tyres can still appear to be serviceable and safe with age, BE WARNED THAT IT'S THE COMPONENTS THAT YOU CANNOT SEE THAT MAY ALLOW THE TYRE TO DELAMINATE AND RESULT IN A 'BLOWOUT' sometimes with both fatal and catastrophic results. For the sake of a few dollars it's just not worth the risk(s).\
For further reading do some Google Searches on the subject - heaps of compelling evidence in support of NOT using out-dated tyres.

Voodoo_SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 E3 R8 Manual+MY16 VFII SV6+MY11 VE S2 SV6
I just replaced circa 1990 tyres on my project car thats coming back on the road as I know the rubber compound will be as hard as and peel off very quickly, even through theyre 80% tread and low profile and probably a better tyre than just about anything available in the same size today.

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
I had some continental sport contact 3’s on an old bmw c/2008 and had heaps of tread left but stuff all grip. Prob ok for a spare.

I drove on some old Michelin TRX metrics c/1984 and it felt like the car had 150more bhp as it would light up in the dry more frequent than Don Burke fantasising about sex with animals.

Thanks Mike, just fell off my chair after reading this:) And I concur with the number of flats in construction city (just look at French's Forest)