Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

wot type of extrators

vpdood

Reaction score
Members Ride
92 vp berlina
ok guys its been a long time cummin but im willing to get some decent extractors for my 92 vp.......although i no jack s!@# about headers. atm my exhaust is stock apart from a 2.5inch cat back redback sports exhaust. it has a nice hum to it but only once the engine is fairly warmed up....is this my crappy dented and cracked stock headers commin into play??

now the big question, what size extractors are my best option and should i keep my stock cat? any other information about extractors and different sizes regarding performance and tone would be much appreciated.

cheers guys

V

VN FreNZy

For a cat, the VN standard is pretty top notch, if your low on cash i suggest keeping the standard cat but if you want a kw or 2 more than that opt for the high flow. Pacemaker, Lukey and Genie extractors are recommended but whatever the option MAKE SURE they're stainless steel or better quality metal.

SlowVac

Owner of a SlowVactioner
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SII
Keep the stock CAT and see how you go.
I have pacemaker on the car which I got it from the wreaker off a VR. I have no problems with them. I recommend to speak to exhaust shops and ask they would have better information then what I do.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Get the longest ones you can find with the best looking collectors (longest).

These aren't Commodore extractors but this will help explain what you are looking for.

These are what I'd expect most modern headers/extractors to look like

V6Headers.jpg

These are too short to make any torque or doing anything much good at all for a Buick V6 except flow well.

p3751.jpg

These above are much more like how things were in the old days when people cared about making power, more racey and more like how proper extractors look like. Notice equal length long tubes, tuned for lower rev range (the first ones are too short to work at any useable revs) These long ones on the same car would suck the doors off the first set. Anyway try find something like those if anyone is making long extractors at the moment

comtim

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN
Cool post ! What brand of extractors are made like that at the moment?

vpdood

Reaction score
Members Ride
92 vp berlina
ok long extractors good, short extractors bad. are their sizes (width) at all or are they all in length??

R

Ratty

Gosh what are we talking about LOL - so size does matter :p

I am goign to buy some Geni's from Genie in Myaree (WA / Perth)

490 for the headers and 180 to fit... I think thats a fairly ok price??? Anyone Agree?

vpdood

Reaction score
Members Ride
92 vp berlina
yeh thats decent i guess. might keep browsing for a few more weeks. u live in perth???

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
vpdood said:
ok long extractors good, short extractors bad. are their sizes (width) at all or are they all in length??

Width also matters :), because a smaller pipe generates more suction. When the gas from one cylinder is leaving the pipe into the collector it's motion causes suction in the other pipes and that helps removes gas from them but also helps bring the inlet charge into the cylinder on the overlap of the cam (when both intake and exhaust valves are open) So you should have extractors that suit your cam. Anyway the smaller the pipe the more suction you make and the more power you make BUT too small a pipe doesn't flow enough gas and you loose power so you need a compromise, 1 5/8 of an inch is probably best for a street motor even 1 1/2 inch for really low end torque. But top end racing V8's will run 1 3/4 pipe or bigger. The length of the pipe is important because it times when all the pulses going back and forth in the exhaust come back into the engine and the have to be tuned to the cam, stock cams need much longer pipes than race cams. The same kind of thing happens in inlet manifolds, in a perfect world the inlet runners on your V6 would be more than twice the length that they are, for the sound waves to help ram air into the cylinders but Holden don't want to be making tunnel rams or manifolds with long runners and a throttle body on each side if the engine because it costs too much and bonnet scoops aren't cool on factory cars : ). Well later on they have tried to make long runners on some engines, you can see it on the Holden EFI V8 and I think the Ecotech has a similar setup with the tuned length runners bending over the top of the manifold. If done well good long runners could add so much extra torque that in theory would knock around half a second off the quarter mile time of a stock V6 commodore. The only easy way I can think to make such a manifold is get a stock one, cut all the top off it back to where the runners join the manifold, then just weld on new straight runners that come straight off the head ports and out over the towards the top of the heads, then a new plenum and a throttle body on each side, similar to the old weber setups on some racing Chev V8's. I'm not sure how you would be able to run the IAC valve on both throttle bodies, or if that would still be possible, you might have to just block one side up and hope the car still runs ok with only one side having the sensors working and the pedal might be a bit stiff pushing both springs :0.

I don't know if you have ever used software like engine analyzer but it calculates all these kind of things to within a few horsepower and if you play around with it you can come up with a combination of inlet and exhaust that will get a VN commdore with all stock engine internals down the quarter mile in under 15 seconds (with time to spare). Anyway that's a basic idea of what goes on, I'm no expert myself (just read alot of books over the years : ))

veclubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Clubsport
i have heard very good things about pacemakers and thats what ill put on mine when i get some money (Not good being a student)
they make a nice sound aswell as extra power
Go the pacemakers mate!

Ryan