Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

wrong mix

samvlcal

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais
hi all

just talking to a mate and he said it's not good to mix two different types of coolant... he says it can turn to 'sludge'. my old man is a chemical engineer and he says that it doesn't mater, the only thing that could happen is you may dilute the ethylene glycol content, it will still protect your motor.

so whose telling the truth?

yZoH

//There Ain't No Rest For The Wicked...
Reaction score
Website
www.lolwut.com
Members Ride
(0.o')
Believe your dad.........

ICUBYE

Do I Smell Burnin Rubber?
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais 5.0Litre '96 Series 1
i agree with hozy

altho I have seen a few reports that certain coolants can promote rusting and this can be worse when mixing two different coolants.

but yeah i would believe an engineer over something on a current affair or today tonight.

pandaman

Aussie Muscle Fan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5.0 A4
hi all

just talking to a mate and he said it's not good to mix two different types of coolant... he says it can turn to 'sludge'. my old man is a chemical engineer and he says that it doesn't mater, the only thing that could happen is you may dilute the ethylene glycol content, it will still protect your motor.

so whose telling the truth?

Most brands are fairly safe to mix, your dad is right in that you might end up with the wrong concentration of ethylene glycol, but the main problem is that some coolants use different corrosion inhibitors which can react with each other. I've never seen a problem occur from mixing coolants though, but I wouldn't reccomend mixing that red coolant stuff with green coolant, for starters the resulting colour would be fairly disturbing. I reckon just apply some common sense and it should all be good.

bangers

Reaction score
Members Ride
EL FALCON XR6
you can't mix red and green coolant. they don't mix. they separate like water and oil. one will sit above the other. and it will do damage to the motor. you can mix different green ones together though.

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
i thought i was supposed to cause electrolosis if there is a earthing problem or a stray current etc

vtdemon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina / HT Sedan (project)
This sludging thing does happen and can mess with radiators and water pumps, I'm not certain about the reactions that go on, but if they cause electrolosis or cavitation take care.

Either way you should always flush the cooling system with every coolant change anyway, especially on Commodores and try and top up with the same brand/type of coolant.