Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

wtf brake on light on

HDT_aero

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
manual VN aero
sup ppl heres a new one my mate took his vn to some dodgey mech and got him to replace the motor he changed it to a s2 from s1 and now the bish wont run right and the electricals are f@cked
1: his car wont idle nicley splutters and dies but if you drive is seems to be ok untill you idle again...
2: every time he brakes his damn headlights come on and his highbeams dont work at all.

i done an ecu test it gave me code 22 and so i replaced the throttle position sensor and no different.. his dodgey mech want more cash to fix it!!! so i guess has anyone had any prob like this before???

cheers Adam

R

rattattack1313

hey bloke..... it helps if you put in your location....if you are in Brizvegas, I know a few pple that could come and look at it for you.(including myself )...does your mate still have the old motor?? I think you need the comp that came with the motor...( I'm not sure on that tho...) but..... a series 1 comp dont like series 2 motors, etc........might be an idea to take it back to his " dodgey mech " mate....take a coupla very large pple with you...or a lawyer.....and if he wont get it going.....get your money back.....

gemini

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Wagon
rattattack1313 said:
hey bloke..... it helps if you put in your location....if you are in Brizvegas, I know a few pple that could come and look at it for you.(including myself )...does your mate still have the old motor?? I think you need the comp that came with the motor...( I'm not sure on that tho...) but..... a series 1 comp dont like series 2 motors, etc........might be an idea to take it back to his " dodgey mech " mate....take a coupla very large pple with you...or a lawyer.....and if he wont get it going.....get your money back.....

Or talk to the consumer afairs because this is bullshit.

Also, i hope you got a warrenty on the engine.

HDT_aero

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
manual VN aero
im in SA but will give the big guy trick a go :)
i wouldnt be one bit suprised if he didnt change the comp

this mech also charged him for radiator (said it leaked) but u need a s2 radiator for the conversion neway also flogged him for timing chain!!! doent that come with motor.

one thing i thought is he used the s1 coil pack would that screw with it also??

MoSkA

Steriotypical Wog
Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 Subaru WRX
My god.
I hate those bloody dodgy mechanics, when I become a grease monkey I'm gonna be the best around.
Pensioner discounts, friendly, cheap and most of all honest. It makes me sick to my stomach how these mechanics rip people with no/little mechanical experience.
I couldn't count the number of times my mum and brother got ripped before I started fixing the cars a couple years ago.
I suggest investing in a gregory's manual. That's how I started, with little experience. I'm getting better and better at diagnosing problems and am currently looking for an apprenticeship, if anyone has a mechanic mate in eastern subs of melb who's looking for an apprentice, hook me up. :D
As for this particular dodgy bastard, take a real hard approach, I'd say start with the lawyer then go the big guys with brass knuckles if he doesn't get scared by the lawyer. Demand your money back and the car fixed... Try your best not to threaten him in any way, make it seem threatening but don't actually say "these guys are gonna break your legs if you don't fix me up".. that could land you in deeper **** and you'll never get what you want.
As for the S1 coil pack, the S2 should be different, they definitely look different.
I doubt this is the only thing he's dodged you on.

knight97

Reaction score
Members Ride
was vn s pack now VY S2
"every time he brakes his damn headlights come on"
Had sam prob check that there are double filament globes in rear brake lights not single filament. :bang:

stockVN

Bundy.... Ur a genious!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
90 VN executive drift machine
bout the head lights.... mine would do that too, everytime I put the brakes on the parkers would come on but the brake lights were constantly on when the haedlights were on. All I did was pull the fuse out and gave the connections a quick hit with the points file...... Worked!!!! It was just water in the fuse. This mechanic wont come down with lawyers.... He doesnt care coz he's prob a low budget, low dollar mechanic with nothing. I would try the big guy thing first, if you do go lawyer then pounding :bop: hell turn it on you. Try going through small claims court first???? Just a thought!!!

VTSSDUDE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L Commodore.
Well considering the S1 motors had diffferent cam grindings to the S2 motors that would tell me that the computer mapping would be different for starters.
Which wouldn't help your idling.
As for your head lights coming on when brakes are applied. Does the brakes still come on as well. For starters check the wiring that goes to the brake pedal switch trace them back to see where they go. Maybe the mechanic had to cut some wiring in the engine bay and somehow god knows how, has joined them back to front. But if Brake lights work too well there could be a backfeed from the brake pedal to the wiring of the headlights, which once again could have been dicked by the mechanic.
Whatever the electrical problem is one problem would be causing the rest of the electrical problems. Bound to be.

Cheers,
Jim :cool: