Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

WTF is going on with kids/teens today?

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
For the life of me, I can't work you out. All my English friends use the term 'bollocks' and I love it, but I've never heard it from anyone else. So what are you? My best guess is a South African born New Zealand resident of English descent. :)

Correct in a way , South African yes , but of Cape Coloured descent ;) , I guess slang terms cross oceans , some my NZ friends find my South African patios a little confusing as my family find theirs sometimes , anyway my point on research was that a professor in America , in my own view , should not perhaps not be taken too seriously .

Last edited:

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Torborg;2394529. said:
Just look at the responses on this thread. Lots of people complaining about the lack of respect and few people willing to lead by example in showing respect to younger people.

I feel I have to respond to this comment. Earlier in this thread, it was suggested by someone (can't recall who) that, perhaps, the lack of respect shown by the young towards my generation (perhaps me specifically, the comment wasn't clear on who the target recipient was) is in response to the lack of respect reciprocated by the older generation towards the young.

Well, when you have never met or spoken to certain kids, and therefore never shown disrespect towards them, yet they damage your property by grafitti or physical damage, it's a bit rich to suggest that it's because we didn't respect them first. ****, we don't even know who they are - they are just little cretins who wander streets and night randomly damaging other peoples' property.

They are the mindless little bastards that I reckon have lacked discipline and respect for others from day one and who create the perception that their generation is a lost cause.

Last edited by a moderator:

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
3cd8a33a.png
[
God I would hate to see how this Child gets treated at home , but on the other hand was it set up ??

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
Lots of people complaining about the lack of respect and few people willing to lead by example in showing respect to younger people.

In my line of work I encounter youth daily. I could literally give you 1000's of examples of how rude and disrespectful many of them are despite myself and Staff being as respectful, understanding, caring and helpful as we can. What comes back is lip, abuse, demands and rudeness along with a high expectation of you will do what I want, give me what I need or all hell will break loose. Please and thank you? Generally only heard from the Staff. These kids think the world owes them and they ain't going to take "****" from no one. They use assertiveness incorrectly and aggression to get what they want, discipline often lacking in their lives.

I recently intervened with a 17 year old for one of my Staff. She knew I interrupted my lunch to help her (most of us would be grateful and apologise out of courtesy, not that I mind being interrupted but it's a point to note here) as she needed urgent assistance. She kept demanding more and more till I said no politely and I got a "well you are a ####ing useless bitch."

This is not an isolated case. The abuse and rudeness is something I now expect and find it refreshing when a youth is polite and says thanks.

Outside of work I got asked by a lad who was about 11 or 12 for some change and when I said no he called me a ####ing old scab. Charming! That age I would not have be without a parent at a shopping centre for a start, let alone ask for money and finally abuse an elder for saying no.

Respect? They have none. Why? Because your warm and fuzzy method of sparing the rod has been replaced by drumming into these little monsters what their rights are instead of teaching them responsibility and respect.

Respect them? Yes I do but I rarely get it back.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
Yeah, should remember and highlight them because words hurt.. Now I wait for again all the protests of political correctness. You take offence, it's not given, so don't take it, problem solvered...

eh?
im confused how you can think of it as political correctness. instead of just being polite and respectful to use proper english to speak to others?

i was more thinking along the lines, have you not seen how now with less respect there seems to be a mass amount of foul language coming out of the little ferals mouths.

i dont really care about people swearing, especially seeing the industry i work in.
but surely, even a bit of punishment would help rid society of little ferals who think its ok to speak to their elders with such words.

im just saying. if i was to speak to elders/peers like that i woulda coped a belting/soap in mouth. (probably still would in some cases)
and im sure many others out there would have. because its not how you should speak to people.
sure talk to your mates like that, nobody cares. but when you hear someone so young (even shown in clairs examples above) speaking to others like that, its just plain wrong.
just a whole time and place type of thing.

its a non "violent" punishment to say the least, but damn it would be good if a few little ferals coped it nowadays

Last edited:

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Flip the coin, U where one of those kids that spoke back and hit ur parents cause U didn't give a ****. Graffiti on property and damage peoples cars. Now flip it, ur older U have a good job and a nice house and some little prick has just graffitied ur fence and broken ur car window.

Its fun and games now, but when the time comes that it's u and ur property, in sure u'll be repeating the same thing as what most of us have been saying.. What is going on with the kids of today..

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
Flip the coin, U where one of those kids that spoke back and hit ur parents cause U didn't give a ****. Graffiti on property and damage peoples cars. Now flip it, ur older U have a good job and a nice house and some little prick has just graffitied ur fence and broken ur car window.

Its fun and games now, but when the time comes that it's u and ur property, in sure u'll be repeating the same thing as what most of us have been saying.. What is going on with the kids of today..

totally agree (even though i wasnt one of those pests :p) with you ephect

one of the main issues are.
back then, you'de actually get punished once caught.
nowadays its just a slap on the wrist (well not even that because its considered to hard)

thus kids are able to get away with it, without having to suffer the consequences of their actions.

for example. why arent they punished and made to wear fluro orange suits, in broad daylight in public to clean up the mess they created.
just like being at school. you didnt care if you got a detention, you went to a room and that was it, nobody could see you.
but man, if you were made to pick up rubbish at lunch it was humiliating because everyone could see it.
and you soon learned that, if you didnt want to be humiliated in such a way, you wouldnt do those stupid things.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
totally agree (even though i wasnt one of those pests :p) with you ephect

one of the main issues are.
back then, you'de actually get punished once caught.
nowadays its just a slap on the wrist (well not even that because its considered to hard)

thus kids are able to get away with it, without having to suffer the consequences of their actions.

for example. why arent they punished and made to wear fluro orange suits, in broad daylight in public to clean up the mess they created.
just like being at school. you didnt care if you got a detention, you went to a room and that was it, nobody could see you.
but man, if you were made to pick up rubbish at lunch it was humiliating because everyone could see it.
and you soon learned that, if you didnt want to be humiliated in such a way, you wouldnt do those stupid things.
I can remember having to pick up rubbish in the morning/ lunch interval as a punishment for playing up at school , usually being a smart arse to the nuns , and remembering how much I hated it , only a few times did this happen then I learned to keep quiet

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride