Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

xv2 commodore shakes

spikeu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX2
i own a vx2 commodore sed, its got a balance problem. i am not sure if it coming from the tyres, its fitted with Falken Ziex ZE-326 . the size of the tyres are 225/50/16, the o/e tyres on the car was brigestone 225/55/16. i have had the rebalanced each 3000k/m, as the car gets a bad shake about 90k/m
i find it starts as a driveline vibration an works through to the steering wheel
i have looked under the car many times, i notice holden had changed the tail shaft over the vt commodre. where on the vt it had a rear universal joint
the vx2 has a rubber flexible coupling.i am starting to think it a tail problem
as having this type of coupling, must put a big load on the centre bearing
as over the years i have replaced a lot of the on the old VB to VL. i have replaced all shocks with monroe reflex and rear coil with holden fe2 wagon
spring.i was told by one of there holden places, that the fe2 wagon springs
are heavier then the std sed springs.the o/e coils had EJ prod i.d code
the wagon coils are EL prod i.d code. it made the ride a bit firmer, but no change in the vibration. if anyone out there who had this problem with vx2

chippy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx executive 3.8l s1, vs s ute 5.0l s3
Was the vibration there before you get new tyres if not it is the tyres by the sounds of it, it is your rear tyres. Get your rear tyres looked at. Falken are a s### tyre and have a history of vibration problems as thay are a cheaper tyre then your brigestone, dunlop, goodyear and yokohama so dont go for cheaper tyres as you will have problems with them.

VXWAGMAN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Series 2 V8 Berlina Wagon A4
Nothing wrong with Falken tyres. They worked well on my VR for years. All tyres I have had so far have been cheaper ones and I have had no problems with them. sure there are more expensive tyres but I don't think you know what your talking about dude.

spikeu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX2
thanks for your help chippy. i think your so right. as the car was a company car
they put new tyres on it, to sell it to me. i keep taking it back to bridgestone thornton to get them rebalance.one of the other bridgestone tyres centres, i have dropped into said to me. there one of the cheapest falken tyres made, the Ziex ZE-326 . he was saying falken has made some good tyres,but Ziex ZE-326 was not one of them
so VXWAGMAN may not be wearing Ziex ZE-326 on his commodore
so i had the car to pedders today, a guy name phill. he said the car was fine, but the tyres are your problem. so thanks guys for your help

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
VXWAGMAN said:
Nothing wrong with Falken tyres. They worked well on my VR for years. All tyres I have had so far have been cheaper ones and I have had no problems with them. sure there are more expensive tyres but I don't think you know what your talking about dude.

He is right, falken tyres have a horrible build. They dont compare to the upper echelon of tyres such as dunlop's bridgey's yokohama's. On a standard non performance car they are fine, but for anything else they are very sketchy. I personally use the new SP MAXX by dunlop, great in the wet and dry, pricy, but well worth it

Brocky_05

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX exc & VP exc
Mate I had the same prob with my VXII and it was always around the 95 to 100 kmh mark. It turned out to be the front discs,got them machined and had no more probs.
Thought it was the tyres and balance and all that otherstuff,had all that done and it turned out it was my discs all the time.
The mechanic told me it is a common fault with them.
Hope this helps.

chippy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx executive 3.8l s1, vs s ute 5.0l s3
VXWAGMAN said:
I happen to work for one of austrailas biggest tyre companies for a number of years and have a petty good idea of what i'm talking about.

Hairy Eater

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VX Executive V6
if your getting vibes to the steering wheel..... then i'm sure you have got Front wheel probs....