Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

yackem

yackem

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 Caprice v8
I have a 2008 WM CAPRICE and have purchased a camera that sticks to the windscreen to record while driving.
Right near the internal rear view mirror there is a box with wiring in it which appears to connect to the mirror.
Would anyone know if it is possible to join into this to supply 12volt for the camera as it would save running a wire
around the screen to get to the power supply. Thanks in advance. Cheers, yackem

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Yes it would be be possible but remember that your camera is probably 5 volt especially if it has a USB type input for the power. The plug that plugs into the cigarette lighter socket converts 12 volts to 5 volts. It's not that hard to run the cable up there and it can be tucked in behind the trims and not be visible.

Last edited:

yackem

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 Caprice v8
Thanks for the reply but the camera is 12 volt as it has a cigarette lighter plug on the other end.

Voodoo_SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 E3 R8 Manual+MY16 VFII SV6+MY11 VE S2 SV6
Yes but it's likely that inside the cigarette socket is a transformer to reduce the voltage down to 5v. Most computer type devices run 5v.

Have a look at the technical specs on the camera for the input.