Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Yet another VX ECC vacuum leak thread

TumTum

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY9.5 VE SV6 Ute, 2001 VXII Berlina Sed
Hi,

I had all the usual issues with the vacuum leak in my climate control. Thanks to JC I've almost sorted it. I've checked and fixed all the rubber pipes under the bonnet, my one way check valve is working and I've installed a new solenoid pack. Prior to all this, under acceleration, the air vents would revert to the windscreen as many have discovered. This was because there was a loss of vacuum and happened regardless of what vent setting was chosen.

Since I've done all the suggested fixes, I can set the climate control to the floor setting and it stays there no matter how much throttle I give it. But if I select face, it still wanders up to the windscreen under low vacuum situations. Choosing recirculating mode while on floor setting does not break the vacuum so I've ruled that actuator out as a culprit.

Getting annoyed, I removed both actuators under the heater unit (major pain in the neck literally) and checked them as well as the rubber lines. Isolating the actuators, they hold vacuum when applied so neither seems to leak. Likewise, all 4 rubber lines hold vacuum so don't appear to be damaged.

But no matter what, as soon as the face actuator takes vacuum and I increase throttle, it slowly loses the grip and the arm comes out. If I let the car idle, it grabs again and stays put regardless of any other settings etc.

What am I missing? Going a little stir crazy here people....

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Have you checked the selector control on the dash.
At the back of it, there's a small, tubular rubber manifold that pushes onto the back of it.
Check that for leaks and make sure its connected ok.
Removing the selector controls, requires removing the dash fascia. It's not hard to do and there are are threads on here as to how to do it.

TumTum

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY9.5 VE SV6 Ute, 2001 VXII Berlina Sed
Mine's electronic climate control so the solenoid pack is under the glovebox. And I replaced that two weeks ago. The connections all seem fine with no audible leaks. Plus a generalised leak would mean the floor setting would divert to windscreen under high throttle but it doesn't. I should mention I also swapped the two actuators over as a test and the one attached to the face vent lines (white and green lines) still dropped with low vacuum so it's not the actuator.

xVTx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina
Good luck mate. Would be keen to know the outcome as mine pretty much does the same, just haven't looked into it yet!