Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

You guys sure know how to...

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Holden was smart to make cars left & right hand drive during development phases of each series so we could flog cars to the Middle East & parts of Asia.
Actually, as a side-thingy, early 90's I did a Great Ocean Road drive with a mate, and we dropped in to the Ford museum.
The EA in facelifted form was still current (would probably have been EB or ED), and one of the videos about the design & development of the EA had LHD development mules.
Nothing was said about LHD, no comment was made on it, and I've never read or heard anything about Ford Oz having designed the EA to be LHD-capable. But the video had labels/lettering in it, so definitely wasn't left-right flipped ... Ford Oz definitely did some LHD development for the EA.
Dearborn would've sternly shut them down & sent them to their room.

Commo Baba

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim Wagon.
I've seen a few Americans find their way onto this site and they are always full of praise and love their/(our) cars.

I remember a guy from Brazil who was thrilled his car had spent about 3 years near the coast and wasn't riddled with rust like every other car there, (his words). I think he moved inland a bit and was thrilled with his 'limo'.

ls1mike

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Caprice L77
So I have owned...standby...
1986 Dodge Omni GLH Turbo
1988 Daytona Shelby Turbo
1987 Shelby Lancer Turbo
1991 Corvette L98
1996 Dodge Stratus
1994 Camaro Z28 LT1
1996 Camaro Z28 LT1
1991 Chevy S-10 Blazer
1988 Chevy Silverado 2500
1989 GMC Sierra 3500
2004 Chevy Silverado 1500
1998 Camaro LS1
2001 Camaro LS1
2000 Trans Am WS6 LS1
1998 Pontiac Bonneville L32
2003 Cadillac CTS Opel 3.2
2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP L67
1998 Buick Regal GS L67
2004 Grand Prix GTP Comp G L32
2013 Chevy Equinox 2.4 ECOTEC
2015 Malibu 2.0 Turbo ECOTEC
2002 Chevy Silverado 2500HD

By far my FAVORITE out of all of them is the Caprice hands down...It is just such a capable car.

ls1mike

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Caprice L77
Mike,

There's a ton of reasons why Aussie built cars never really made it to the US. Now you would know the US Ford Taurus, the FWD 6cyl car. Ford Australia built the EA Falcon & the long wheelbase NA Fairlane RWD at the same time when both Taurus & Falcon started production. Anyway the RWD Aussie built Falcon/Fairlane range was better built than the Taurus & handled better. The reason why Ford US didn't want them was that they built the Taurus & said it was a better car. The Ford Falcon ute.... would have made a great addition in the US but Ford US didn't want them cos they said it'd bite into the F series pickup sales. I don't which bright spark said that cos an F series is sold every 20 odd seconds & the Falcon ute, if imported would have complimented it. Even the crappy Aussie built Ford Capri (Mercury Capri) went to the US at the same time that the Mazda MX-5 was launched so it didn't stand a chance. Plus the American public were duped into "buying American" to keep jobs in the US. The funny thing about the Taurus is that the 3rd generation was exported to Australia. It was a crappy built overpriced heap of s*%t & it hardly sold here. It was to compete with the Falcon/Fairlane but the exchange rate killed it thank god. Had Ford US had any sense at all, it should have imported the RWD Falcon/Fairlane platform and sales for it would have went up generating a profit for Ford US & generated employment here in Australia.

Holden could have done the same thing & GM execs just didn't want to import cars from Australia even though it was the leader in RWD platforms for the GM empire (insert Calaber's quote). Holden was smart to make cars left & right hand drive during development phases of each series so we could flog cars to the Middle East & parts of Asia. When trying to sell the Commodore & it's derivatives to the US, GM said that they already make great cars, why do we want an Australian built car. The majority of the American people did not want a foreign built car as it would take American jobs away. If you read US articles about the Pontiac G8 at the time it was released in the US by US journalists, you'll find bias in the home brand not foreign built cars. Only a few journos in the US spoke out on how great the G8 was. I have friends of mine that live in the New England region that highly covet my ute. They drool over the photos I send them & photos of current models. A friend of mine in Tennessee was after a car & wanted something different than an SUV. It started as a joke between us. She didn't want new but 2nd hand & posted a couple of US sites to look for cars. I spotted a few 2004-2006 Pontiac GTO's & they were cheaper & better equipped than the Holden Monaro. There was one not far away from her sitting at a dealership 2nd hand with low miles & she loved it from her first test drive. She still has it after 8 years and she got rid of the GTO look, went for a Monaro front & sports Holden badges. She says it's the best car she's ever owned. Mind you she wants my ute too & I told her there's a company in Colorado that converts Aussie utes to left hand drive. The reason why the Pontiac GTO ceased to be exported in Buick-Pontiac-GMC General Manager John Larson words were "the inability to meet new airbag deployment standards for 2007". Our airbags on our Holdens are bigger than the majority of US built cars & that the airbags are sourced overseas that are used in other US built cars, so that statement from Larson doesn't make any sense!

The current Chevrolet Camaro has the Holden designed Zeta platform which in turn will be replaced by the GM Alpha platform currently used by Cadillac. You might think that we in Australia are peeved off that we're losing Holden & Ford here producing local cars, and you're right. We made great cars here using an amalgamation of US/UK/Aussie/German technology & only a few people outside Australia have taken notice that we can build something decent. The next lot of cars heading here are coming off the old Korean Daewoo plant which are crap & expensive German cars from Opel.

Mike, enjoy your Caprice. It'd be worth it if you bought some Holden badges & a few other Holden bits & pieces to make your car unique to your corner of the world. I'm glad to see that there is another North American enjoying something that will never be seen ever again. It's a shame & that's why I have my ute.

Awesome post! Thanks man! I tell you I am still trying to figure out which emblems to get. I need a grill to replace the Chevy one and I have seen some Australian cars with 6.0 badges on them. I like those a lot.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
I've seen a few Americans find their way onto this site and they are always full of praise and love their/(our) cars.
Probably about 99% of that is simply because The Grass Is Greener, though. :)
You wants whats you can't gets ...

R

Risky

Awesome post! Thanks man! I tell you I am still trying to figure out which emblems to get. I need a grill to replace the Chevy one and I have seen some Australian cars with 6.0 badges on them. I like those a lot.

Mike keep hunting mate as it'll pay off. If you're unsure just send me a message. ManxSS has a VY Series I SS ute on the Isle Of Man & I've helped him track down stuff for his ute that otherwise he wouldn't have got.
Holden-Caprice-1.jpg

Commo Baba

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim Wagon.
So I have owned...standby...
1986 Dodge Omni GLH Turbo
1988 Daytona Shelby Turbo
1987 Shelby Lancer Turbo
1991 Corvette L98
1996 Dodge Stratus
1994 Camaro Z28 LT1
1996 Camaro Z28 LT1
1991 Chevy S-10 Blazer
1988 Chevy Silverado 2500
1989 GMC Sierra 3500
2004 Chevy Silverado 1500
1998 Camaro LS1
2001 Camaro LS1
2000 Trans Am WS6 LS1
1998 Pontiac Bonneville L32
2003 Cadillac CTS Opel 3.2
2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP L67
1998 Buick Regal GS L67
2004 Grand Prix GTP Comp G L32
2013 Chevy Equinox 2.4 ECOTEC
2015 Malibu 2.0 Turbo ECOTEC
2002 Chevy Silverado 2500HD

By far my FAVORITE out of all of them is the Caprice hands down...It is just such a capable car.

Wow ! that's some list and a big call to go with it !

Can you go and be the GM CEO and get us our Holden cars back please ?

Commo Baba

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim Wagon.
Hi Mike
Yeah, our Cruze is a Chev over there. I think the engines are pretty much the same and a recent face-lift - the last before local production ceases around October this year, is simply the current Chev split grille design with Holden badges replacing the bow-tie. There is, however, a great deal of local engineering input in our Cruze and it's a safe bet that it would run rings around the US version (or Cruze's sold in any other market) when it comes to handling. When it was first released here in 2010, it was a big seller and I think it led that segment of the new car market. It's been around too long now and more modern competition has knocked it off its perch. It's now just a modest seller.
Haha.........yeah , well; the one on the highway today I reckon was going quicker around the curves than on the straighter bits. Actually not much true straight bits around here but enough for this local Commo ! to kick past.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
There is, however, a great deal of local engineering input in our Cruze and it's a safe bet that it would run rings around the US version (or Cruze's sold in any other market) when it comes to handling. When it was first released here in 2010, it was a big seller and I think it led that segment of the new car market. It's been around too long now and more modern competition has knocked it off its perch. It's now just a modest seller.
At it's peak, I don't think the Cruze ever got that near the Mazda3 or Corolla's sales.
The suspension/steering positives were always undermined by the NVH and materials-quality and controls-feel negatives.

But you can't necessarily read a lot into market leadership, Hyundai I30 is a reasonable car if you want a reliable rental appliance but they're nothing for the enthusiast to enthuse over ... and they sell about 5x as many of those here every day as Holden sell Cruzes.