Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

yucky engine sound unker 1000rpm

vh-holden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS sedan and a VK DRGWGN
yucky engine sound under 1000rpm

I've got a vs series 2 v6 on gas.(i don't think the gas is the problem though)

i had been driving for an hour with no problems except for a small squeak which i think was one of the pulleys and is expected.

i stopped and then started the car up again after about 2 minutes. there was a real bad rattling sound whenever the car was idling or dropped under 1000rpm.

any ideas what it could be? i checked the oil the other day and it was just over the add line, but it has only just started making this sound.

when i had a quick look i noticed the belt was wobbling a little bit as it moved. could that be the problem?

Last edited:

vh-holden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS sedan and a VK DRGWGN
i think it's the harmonic balancer. what's the chances of me being able to fix it myself? on the old vh, things could be fixed.

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
Yeah,quite possibly the harmonic balancer,or even the water pump...
have a look with the engine running and see if either one is spinning off axis, and check the harmonic balancers rubber core (around the bolt) is all intact as well.
as for doin it urself..depends how handy you are,but if you do tryn fix it your self take very close note of how the belt goes..it can be very frustrating trying to put it back on.

vh-holden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS sedan and a VK DRGWGN
AANT (local roadside assistance mob) just came and had a look. He couldn't find the problem. He didn't want to tell us the wrong thing, and advised getting it towed, not driven to a mechanic.

He didn't think it was the pump or balancer, but said that the pump was making some noise and that one of the idler pulleys also needed replacing at some stage.

He did hint at internals. What could that be?

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
hmm,dunno,could be lots of things...but from what you have said i wouldnt go drivin it till ya get it checked out.

vh-holden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS sedan and a VK DRGWGN
it was the harmonic balancer.

in future i think i'll trust my own judgement and the advice of random people over the net before i trust the roadside assistance guys!!!!

forums have never let me down, roadside assistance on the other hand, well, i'm not going there cos some people will consider it slander, even though it is true.

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
good stuff,it sounded like the balancer or w/pump from what you discribed...
well at least its nothin major,thats always a relief

vh-holden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS sedan and a VK DRGWGN
sure is a relief. now to lodge a complaint with the roadside assitance mob. All the guy had to do was touch the harmonic balancer like my reputable mechanic did and he would have realised it was that.

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
bloody hopeless...thats all i can say,to think thats the guy ur relyin on to help u in a tight spot

vh-holden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS sedan and a VK DRGWGN
was talking to someone about it last night and he reckons that i can't expect them to know that. they are there for flat batteries and flat tyres.

well, i'm not paying $100 for that a year