Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

**URGENT**Help with twin throttle setup..

KRUPTD

VN BT1 5L
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Crewman,XE Falcon,HJ V8 panel van,HZ tonner
Hi,i have just fitted my active twinn throttle body setup onto my VN 5L.Its running but i need some help please.Well it revs at idle 1800rpm this is because of the second throttle body sucking in air due to the idle iac motor vent passage,because when i put my finger over the whole/vented to the iac motor in the throttle body intake side it idles at 800rpm no worries.So i was wondering if any one knows why this is happening???I thought if you have the iac disconnected the car would stall or would have trouble idling...Or how do you reckon i could pulg up this vaccum leak/fix it.
And the second this is i need some help with a throttle linkage for the 2 throttle bodies to open at the same time.I have both throttle bodies mounted with the accelerator linkages at tthe top of the hat,so was wondering if anyone had any good ideas to link them together to open at the same time and also at wide open throttle.I have attached some pics of my engine with the manifold on.

Attachments

• enginettb.JPG
    enginettb.JPG
    34.2 KB · Views: 477
  • enginettb1.JPG
    enginettb1.JPG
    29.8 KB · Views: 384

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
have you set the base idle screw???
put it in diagnostic mode and check the timing then the set idle to about 850 ish
what about a carby linkage type setup with a pivot ball on top of the second throttle body with the connecting rod joining the two together??

when one opens it pulls the other open aswell

KRUPTD

VN BT1 5L
Reaction score
Members Ride
Base idle is already set on both throttle bodies.What i mean on the second throttle body which doesnt have the tps and iac connected it is sucking in air vaccum leak from the vent passage from the iac.I want to fix this maybe blocking it off???Whats the best way for this?

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
you know when you get a brand new brake wheel cylinder?? howq they ahve those plugs in the ends to stop moisture getting in?? they fit nicely in the IAC inlet

KRUPTD

VN BT1 5L
Reaction score
Members Ride
Sounds like you have doen this before.:yeah: Will see if i can get a plug of some sort to fit.

KRUPTD

VN BT1 5L
Reaction score
Members Ride
No didnt purchase it off ebay.I bought it locally,its a brand new manifold with hat,its an inner active high rise manifold with the ford twin throttle hat.Just need to figure out this linkage stuff and then can take her for a drive.Not much has been done to the motor stage 2 crane cam,and a standard rebuild 60,000kms ago,heads were ported/polished,in the next week will be fitting 4 into 1 paccies and fitting a new 3 inch muffler and upgrading my injectors to blue tops,and a set of yella terra roller rockers and getting the memcal retunned...

Panama

Reaction score
Members Ride
'87 VL Calais with L67
Base idle is already set on both throttle bodies.What i mean on the second throttle body which doesnt have the tps and iac connected it is sucking in air vaccum leak from the vent passage from the iac.I want to fix this maybe blocking it off???Whats the best way for this?

yeah id just take the tb off and plug it up. you definitely dont need 2 iacs.

either tap out the iac hole and put a bolt in it with some thread tape on it or clog the shizzle out of it with silicone. let it dry for sure before you re connect it to ya motor.

nice ttb setup btw neat. whered you get that from? ive only ever seen them on the side like ecotecs and walkys. i'd prolly pipe it down to where the air box is to give it some cooler air or have you got a bonnet scoop?

and with them opening at the same time, you could work em like a handbrake, mount a cable from one tb to the other and then crimp your throt cable to the middle of the cable between the tbs. should pull em evenly and look and work a treat.

KRUPTD

VN BT1 5L
Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah once i have got it running properly will run some pipes from the throttle bodies to where the air box is and mount pods down there or even maybe make a custom air box to suit.Those pods wont be getting any hott air,they stick out the bonnet no problem.As for the bonnet scoop i have arranged for a VN bonnet bulge.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
it would be a lot simpler if both TB's were mounted around another 90 degrees, then you could make a small linkage between shafts of the 2 TB's remove the TPS from the 1st and couple it to the throttle linkage side on the 2nd. that way you can still use the TPS on the 2nd TB.

ifyour going to keep em oriented as is then as suggested above, use the balljoint setup as used with twin carbies. you should be able to get something at the local speed shop. as for the 2nd IAC, just pull out the IAC valve, make sure the valve is extended past 28mm and screw it back in, this way it should be fully seated and seal the passage.