Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My new project VK.

GoodTimes

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE Thunder Sandman, 6-speed Manual
So I had myself a VZ.... http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/vz-holden-commodore-2004-2006/202130-my-vz.html#post2261755

Then I got myself this VK Calais and it is in very great condition, with literally no rust and I checked every where and so did several mates.

I am new to cars. I am studying an automotive course and school at the moment and hope to start a automotive apprenticeship after. My first ideas for the car were a Group 3 body kit and then strip it, sound deaden and spray a nice glossy red.

Then maybe work the interior, but it is in mint condition and maybe thinking keep that classic look. Now I have a V6, for my Victoria P plates. But for this car I was a street legal v8. So as of yet, I know sh*tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt all about anything about cars, so what engines would fit? What would be a nice one to use? How hard would a conversion be over to manual? What would need replacing and stuff, where to get all that nice polished look like in the magazines for under the engine bay? What do you guys think would be awesome in,on,around,over it? Or am I kidding myself and should wait until I have finished my apprenticeship before even bothering attempting?

GoodTimes

Reaction score
Members Ride
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344350434.067201.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1344350441.825161.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1344350448.592627.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1344350455.375954.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1344350488.580762.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1344350504.161989.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1344350514.932764.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1344350521.399628.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1344350528.867099.jpg

GoodTimes

Reaction score
Members Ride
You can all expect lots of questions from me with problems. First, apparently because it normally has 30" tyres and the guy said he put 35" on it has put the calais eclectic speedo 25km out of wack. Seems like massive bullshit to me, would a modern auto electrician be able to fix this? Also when I order the kit anyone want to help clean sills and fit kit, or more show me? And where I can sound deaden. Also the god almighty task of ripping all interior and engine out of bay to paint. Is this something I should leave to the painters? Also will they weld up unnecessary holes to look nice and smooth and whilst the engine is out should I bother reconditioning or doing any of that crap, or starting on replacing with a manual gear box?

dmacey

Somebody, make me upset
Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Series II Sedan Manual & a VK in the build
Congratulation on your project mate!!!

I would love a VK, been looking for a banger for sometime now.

Anyway, back to you. I would first work out what you want the car to be when your finished with the build.

Then work a sensible plan to achieve this, no point getting new wheels if there is no motor.

Just take your time with it, enjoy the process.

The rule is, you can do anything to any car, so long as you have the cash for it. Sky is the limit.

Looking forward to following this build.

Have a look in the VK section

GoodTimes

Reaction score
Members Ride
I want it to be somewhat a very fast tough loud lumpy V8. Yet still street legal. I want it to look pretty an clean and square.

I shall wait until I start my apprenticeship and hopefully a few in the shop might have ideas or even be able to craft a path for me.

mr j-man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 355
Lokks like a nice clean start bud and the interior looks good so i wouldnt f@ck with that.

sounds like u want to do everything to it...... so u gotta make a plan from start to finish in a corrective order.

pull it down to basically an empty roller....

do the paint and panel......including engine bay.....so that will all need to be remove

source a new front end assembly (k-frame) ect ect to allow for a v8 to sit in it......its goin to be a costly exercise to convert 6 to 8..... new motor, new gearbox, new tailshaft, new rear end with disc brakes,

sound deaden with dense underlay, refit interior... ect

build your new v8
source a good box...... auto or manual - your choice.

sound deaden the underbody when youve got the running gear out

upgrade springs, shocks, swaybars, new bushes (polyurethane....not nolathane) ive seen end results of nolathane on a mates car and that crap just turns to playdoh in a matter months.

front brake upgrade, bigger booster and master cylinder,

thats a basic process but you will find there will be alot of other things that you will come across that may throw a spanner in the works so to speak.

im building a 355 for my vh at the moment....so far its takin almost 6months to buy parts and machine work ect
so dont think a full resto/rebuild is goin to be done in 12 months... unless your cashed up to the eyeballs

good luck with it....if u go ahead with it.....be sure to start a build thread
cheers
justin

harbsy50L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Calais 5.0L 333 pack
Good luck with the build, I just purchased my own Calais with a 308 in it, sold my LJ 2 door was too much bodywork for, sold to a mate who is going to help me with the VK. Will post some pics soon, but like the guys have said take your time and get it right the first time, really think about what you want to do it could cost heaps to keep making changes.

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
You can all expect lots of questions from me with problems. First, apparently because it normally has 30" tyres and the guy said he put 35" on it has put the calais eclectic speedo 25km out of wack.

I'm a bit confused about this
30" & 35" tyres ? Is he referring to the diameter of the wheel or circumference of the tyre?

if the tyres diameter is out enough to throw the speedo out by 25kms then you have the wrong profile tyres. By law you can only increase the diameter by 15mm over the factory wheels. Also if the diff ratio has been changed it can throw the speedo out.

If it's just the wrong tyres, easier just to fit the right tyres. If the diff ratio has been changed, then you'll need a speedo corrector

GoodTimes

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yes he said the tyres were illegal and to big thus the speedo.

Yeah, I plan on learning from it also, so of a spanner is chucked in there to change things up, then I'll accept them as it's all part of the process.

Haha damn it seems very complicated, but as I do my apprenticeship I guess you learn really. As of now I understand the 4 strokes. I also understand every thing (or I think everything) in an engine and am always keen to learn more. And hopefully about 3 more years and should have this bloody mortgage paid off, got it nice and close to 50k. Then I can throw money all over cars haha. But I'll take into account that path now and research about what you said, each part. Just look it all up. What would you guys suggest as the best to go with LS1? 307? Also before each mod, should I consult and engineer or fully qualified mechanic to see if afterwards it is still Vicroads compliant? I have also heard that for cars over 25 years old with a car club registry there is basically no limits to street worthy. Sounds pretty suss.

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
Easiest and cheapest option is to stick with the Holden V8. It literally drops straight in.
A LS conversion in comparison is rather complex and expensive. Depending on the rules in your state, you'll probably also need a mod plate/engineer certificate as the LS isn't wasn't optional engine on that model

As your engine already is EFI, it's not really a big drama to drop in a Holden EFI 304 from a VN or VP. You've already got a EFI fuel tank with return line. As said, engine drops straight in, but you will need to do some wiring. And if you swap the camshaft over, then you'll also really need to add a tune to that.

Or you could go down the carby path, drop either a 308 or 304 carb Holden V8 in.
I put a VR 304 EFI engine into my VH, was a relatively easy job, makes good power and is a pleasure to drive