Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Removing stuck sump plug.

Uber_Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
'04 VY SS 5.7 A4, '94 VR 5.0L M5
This morning i took a trip to supercheap and bought 5l of HPR30, a filter and an oil drain bucket + funnel.

Upon returning home i put the bucket under my car (92 VP 3.8L) and tried to undo the sump plug. It wouldnt budge. I thought maybe its left hand thread, nope, still didnt budge. I saturated it in RP7 and left it for 20mins, nope, still stuck. I tapped it with a hammer and then tried to undo it, nope, still stuck. I have been trying since 11am this morning to undo this damn thing and i cant do it! :cry:

Does anybody have any ideas as to how i could get this damn thing off? It would VERY much be appreciated.

Matt.

geta

Reaction score
yank on it harder, or use a longer spanner, or breaker bar. Make sure your turning it to the left (anticlockwise) ... righty tighty, lefty loosey :dodgy:

-dave

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
Use a longer one, if you have one.. Best advice..

Use your whole body, like you're rowing.. That often works..

Uber_Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
geta said:
yank on it harder, or use a longer spanner, or breaker bar. Make sure your turning it to the left (anticlockwise) ... righty tighty, lefty loosey :dodgy:

-dave
Im not particularly keen on yanking on it any harder, i dont want to strip it. From the position i am lying in to reach it, left would be clockwise anyway, not anticlockwise.

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
Is it slipping when you yank it? If so, then it will probably strip it.. Otherwise, go for it..

Uber_Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
Well i cant feel any slippage when im yanking on it, it jsut doesnt move. Its hard to get any leverage whilst lying on your back too. I might give it another go tomorrow arvo, i have to go to work in 2mins anyway.

kra23y

JIMMY
Reaction score
Members Ride
00 VT ACCLAIM SII WAGON
i had the same prob, i just used a hammer and chisel, i kept shocking it till it started turning, then i just threw the spanner on it and come of with ease

mouce

Physics Geek
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 Series 1 Executive Sedan
If you don't mind running the risk of blowing yourself up, heating it up with an oxy torch would loosen it a bit. Or if you don't feel like doing that, if you've got any way of cooling it right down (got any dry ice kicking around?), the contraction due to the cold is normally enough to just 'break' whatever is holding it in.

Of course there's nothing like a 3ft lenth of steel pipe on the end of a bar to help undo it! That would be my first choice.

holden#1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S1 Executive V6
sump plugs that tight! dry ice is one i shall have to remember. where do you purchase from?

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
u tried banging it up with a hammer to crack the thread???? works sometimes and wont need a new sump plug after wards