Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR V8 Upgrades?

SUSS8

Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 Holden Calais VR V8
hey, i bought a vr v8 and have just done a full service within the last month and have it running the way it should have been. I currently have HM extractors, exhaust with hiflow cats, CAI, 3.9 diff gears. Now Im looking to get a little more power out of the engine and have given myself a limit of $2000 at this moment.

Just wondering what people recommend to get done as a first modification towards the engine?
P.S all of the work will be done at the shop!

!!!

Krisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
D22 St-r Navara
die grinder with sum bits and port your own heads

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VT BERLINA/ 98 VS SIII MALOO (RED) LX SLR5000
memcal chip....try dr bob
hey, i bought a vr v8 and have just done a full service within the last month and have it running the way it should have been. I currently have HM extractors, exhaust with hiflow cats, CAI, 3.9 diff gears. Now Im looking to get a little more power out of the engine and have given myself a limit of $2000 at this moment.

Just wondering what people recommend to get done as a first modification towards the engine?
P.S all of the work will be done at the shop!

!!!

VR028

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII SS
if your lucky u might be able to get a small cam and tune for around 2k

Bizmark

Reaction score
Members Ride
93' Pov-Pac
CAI if you haven't already got one, larger TB would help a bit as well. I'm assuming the calais is auto, if it has the electronic gearbox, a larger TB will require a memcal chip (You should get one as these unlock a fair bit of power on the 304's). Corvette Servo and maybe a shiftkit for the tranny if you haven't already got one, these will get the car changing gears faster.

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
You could get a nice cam fitted for under 2k at the shop and buy a generic tune off a tuner here to suit for a modest price to save a dyno run. I would be shifting this way since you have the right diff gears to get a lumpy cam moving. Only problem there is the inlet manifold runners, so you can go to big with the cam.

SUSS8

Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 Holden Calais VR V8
Thanks to everyone for taken the time to help me out and Ive decided Im going lead towards MACE's Cold Air Intake as as their 70MM TB. The car is currently off the road and is going into the shop in a few months time to get the Auto Rebuilt with corvette servos, stronger bands etc with a stage 2 shift kit. I think a Head & CAM package maybe done down the track but at this point Im going to get these small things done just to start it out. Thanks again to everyone who replied I appreciate it =D

Muss

SUSS8

Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 Holden Calais VR V8
Thanks to everyone for taken the time to help me out and Ive decided Im going lead towards MACE's Cold Air Intake(The previous owner put a shitty ebay one on) aswell as their 70MM TB. The car is currently off the road and is going into the shop in a few months time to get the Auto Rebuilt with corvette servos, stronger bands etc with a stage 2 shift kit. I think a Head & CAM package maybe done down the track but at this point Im going to get these small things done just to start it out. Thanks again to everyone who replied I appreciate it =D

Muss

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
You don't need a larger throttle body on a 304 - don't even need one on a 355. Save your money.