Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

front passenger door stuck locked

Shell77

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive 97
can any one help, my front passenger door is stuck locked, am I able to fix it my self or do I have to put it in the shop?

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Have to tried to prise up the snib on the offending door?.

Shell77

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive 97
wat do u mean? wen I press the unlock button on my keys the front passenger door stays locked, it can not open manually either

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
OK - sounds like you may have tried pulling the snib up - it's also called the snipper button . The red plastic part of the snib/snipper sometimes can jam it and you need to use a screwdriver to lever it up. Next thing to try is to thump the inner and outer panels with your open palm....not too hard but just enough to 'help' it move if it's a bit stiff. If that fails then it probably means you will need to remove the trim which will be made a lot easier by removing the pass side front bucket seat. You may be able to slide the pass seat fully forwards to allow you to prise the door trim off so you can somehow gain access to the lock otherwise you'll need to pull the trim which ain't the easiest of jobs with the door shut.

Shell77

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive 97
OK - sounds like you may have tried pulling the snib up - it's also called the snipper button . The red plastic part of the snib/snipper sometimes can jam it and you need to use a screwdriver to lever it up. Next thing to try is to thump the inner and outer panels with your open palm....not too hard but just enough to 'help' it move if it's a bit stiff. If that fails then it probably means you will need to remove the trim which will be made a lot easier by removing the pass side front bucket seat. You may be able to slide the pass seat fully forwards to allow you to prise the door trim off so you can somehow gain access to the lock otherwise you'll need to pull the trim which ain't the easiest of jobs with the door shut.

OK I have tried thumping, (& i can see the red plastic & the appears to be fine???) But what is happening is the lock comes half way up (during unlocking) & it locks itself stright away, so I will try gaining access to the lock, will let you know how I go!

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Try pulling the lock button up with the battery disconnected - it sounds like the solenoid inside the door lock is trying to lock it at all times....disconnecting the battery should stop this.

Shell77

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive 97
Hi I have tried to pull the lock button up with one of the battery terminals off, (should I take both off?) it's too hard like it's stuck lock, also the outside door handle feels like it doesn't seem to be catching because it feels quiet loose (it that because it's locked or could it be broken?) how much do you think it would cost me to get it fixed?

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
As it's almost Xmas, you would not be too popular rolling up at a panel shop to get it opened...but I could be wrong.....and believe me, it won't cost peanuts if they decide to do it.
If the outside handle is loose then it indicates something is adrift inside, so really the only option is to try and prise the trim away from the door - either just around the lock or the whole panel...if worst comes to worst you can just cut thru the inside panel trim and get another from the wreckers where they are a dime a dozen. Once you can see the latch, start pulling/pushing levers, rods and anything that moves. Once it's open don't shut till you know for sure you can open it again.
Good Luck.

Shell77

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive 97
Thanx Heaps Hako, You've been very helpful! I will take your advice & just have a go at it myself,