Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Transmission Probs F#$K plz help

Paintabruh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR commodore acclaim V6
Hey fellors, ok just today my car will over rev and strugle so hard to change gear sometimes it ends up changing others it wont at all happens after i hit 60 and after 80 ks after 60 ks which think is 3rd it rev but comes through but after 80 ks it jus rev rev rev wat the ### is it major? just need a trans service, plz dnt let it be a near transsmision if it is round how much is it, its ruined my day and pissed me off :mad: thanks

db_notso

diagnostic technician...
Reaction score
Members Ride
vt v6, mods(susp brakesetc...)
try a fluid and filter swap
but sounds like classic worn out auto...

Paintabruh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR commodore acclaim V6
is dat like a service so what happens when its warn? big money aye?

db_notso

diagnostic technician...
Reaction score
Members Ride
do an auto service
its a filter a gasket and new fluid

if the trans is worn out (im thinking bands; like a manual clutch wears out)
its a new box or recon the box...$$$$$

Paintabruh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR commodore acclaim V6
Yehh i was thinking bands need tighting but heaps people are getting these probs and having to get new ones man my luk is ****

db_notso

diagnostic technician...
Reaction score
Members Ride
before you condemn it!~
i wpersonally would do an auto fluid and filter change
may get you another couple of months out of it if there JUST STARTING to die (bands i mean)

im not an auto expert but i dont think the bands in these autos are adjustable? no?

*uwishn*

Holden special vehicles
Reaction score
Members Ride
vl walkinshaw(replica)nissan navara d40 st-x turbo
i'm having the same trouble in my clubby :( my box needs a rebuild.

db_notso

diagnostic technician...
Reaction score
Members Ride
oil change first people..
also this eliminates low oil causing slippage of internal parts.....

old filthy or contaminated or low oil in the trans can cause it to slip resembling a worn band or clutch packs...

fluid in holden autos should be red on the dipstick and not smell burnt it is dextron3 OR ve etc dextron 6
the oil is bright red aswell and has a sweet oil smell...

D3V14NT

Likes Shiny Things
Reaction score
Members Ride
93 VP BT1 V6
Does indeed sound like the usual worn out transmission.

As said above perform a transmission service (Drop transmission pan, replace filter, refill fluid). Check the condition of the oil currently in the transmission, if the oil smells 'burnt' and is dark brown this is usually a sign of worn/burnt clutches but a service may help keep it alive longer. If the service makes a noticable improvement would strongly recommend fitting a trans cooler as the lower operating temperature will certainly help keep the trans alive longer. A service and cooler is definitely cheaper than a rebuild. Keep in mind that high RPM shifting into 2nd and 3rd will put a lot of strain on a worn band or worn clutch packs.

Most likely culprit is a worn 2-4 band or burnt 3-4 clutch plates. 3-4 Clutch plates are prone to failure in these transmissions and can be replaced with a 'powerpack' to increase durability (part of a rebuild). The 2-4 band can be adjusted with the use of shims on the band apply pin in the band apply servo assembly but would only recommend doing this if you were confident in modifying your transmission. The seals and o-rings in the servo assembly will also need to be replaced if doing this as the whole assembly will need to be removed from the transmission to install shims. This will need to be done while the pan is removed from the transmission so the band is visible to check clearance. The installation of shims is also a part of the installation of a corvette servo which comes with the necessary seals and o-rings for the assembly. Installing a corvette servo isn't recommended in a worn transmission though as it will increase apply pressure which will exacerbate any problems with worn components.

Paintabruh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR commodore acclaim V6
thank you all fellors realy realy helpful im not real mechanically minded so cant do it my self
i hope it aint bad cause i dnt have over 1000 dollars to get a new box :( im geting it checked out
tomorrow morning and ill find out the verdict then to me i think its the worst case senario, i can still drive the thing just dont wana push it past 80 90 mark as thatl prob ### it up, great start to the yr aye boy? haha fml and i just got back from hollidays so SH$T :(