Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Going for a trip to Autobarn.. POD Filters?

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
Ok so I am going to Autobarn after work tomorrow, got to get some orange bulbs, see if they have the clear side indicators too but can always order them elsewhere if i need to - no biggie.

Having a look thru their current catalog... I see they have "High Flow POD Filter" for $24... now I'm not looking for extra power but perhaps a little better fuel economy, and am told this is the sort of thing to look for. Also, how easy are these to fit for the mechanically challenged? Or is it worth getting someone else to do it.(I'm a computer geek, not a car geek :p)

Any help appreciated :)

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
well i woodnt get a pod unless u shield it or get a cai kit, pods suck hot air from engine bay into the engine, for some reason i dont think hot air can do any good, i got a cold air intake and a k&n hi flow air filter for 150 bux and my economy is a bit better then be4

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
Cold air intake looks like this:

a cold air intake sits ontop of the radiator, intaking colder air as it gets it from above the radiator and not in the engine bay, attached is a pic of a holden cold air intake

Attachments

• CAI.jpg
    CAI.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 438

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
pod installation

if you decide you still wont a pod, unscrew the clamp (marked in yellow) and attach the pod instead of the air box

Attachments

• pod.JPG
    pod.JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 910

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
i dont have a pic off a pod installed sorry.. some one else here mite though

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
Well is that even all I need? Or is there more to it? I REALLY have no idea about this gear...

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
autobarn will have clear indicators for sure and as for the pod its quite easy to install..
you'll need to disconnect the temp sensor (located at rear of air box) undo the clamps on the air intake pipe where it meets the air box (also undo the clamp holding the little bendy elbow joint that joins the maf to the air box,because you wont need this anymore)...take the top of the box off,remove old air filter, undo the nuts holding the box do the chassis..remove entire box.
carefully remove the air temp sensor from the air box and re-attach to wiring.
now you can buy pre-made air temp sensor holders or rig up your own (ive even put the sensor straight into the intake pipe inside the pod b4) but these pre-made ones will have a hole for the sensor and a bracked coming off them to attach the intake pipe to the rear left bolt that held down the old air box.
i would recommend buying one of these as they also extend the intake pipe so when the pod is put on it sits just to the side of the headlight (where the old air box funnel went to).
put it all together....maf.to rubber joiner.to sensor holder.to pod
when you've done this disconnect the battery for 5 mins and then reconnect and start her up!
hope this helps you mate,any questions just ask....oh,and if your wondering what this "maf" is im talkin about its the square metal thing on the intake pipe that has "flow" with some arrows on the top.
i tryed takin some pics of my setup to show you but the bad light made the photos pretty useless.

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
OK so these are the bits i need to play with?

POD.jpg

I've been told a half decent pod should be around $50 - I'll probably opt for the temp sensor bracket too - sounds helpful and i'm not a complete tightass :p

Or is it worth saving up for a CAI? I'm really doing this for fuel saving... is there $100 worth of difference between the two for this alone?

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
yeah mate that picture shows it all.
it really is a matter of opinion with cai versus pods....u'll find alot of ppl hate the pods and swear by the cai and then there's the ppl like me who like pods.
ive used all different combinations in the past on a bunch of different cars and from my experience a pod is my choice. (god,i cant hear the revolts from this already,lol)
ppl will tell you a pod only sucks in hot air and all the rest of that bullsh!t,but if its placed at the very front of the car where the factory funnel for the air box was the pods air is comin straight from outside the engine bay...plus its a straight shot all the way to the throttle body...no bending through pipes and goin through mazes of cai piping (which i must add gets hot anyway and would heat the air up voiding the whole point of cai...u ever opened up a air box after your cars been runnin and felt how hot it is?)
anyway,i think ive opened a massive debate here and all i can say is to each there own...you get what you want for your car mate

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
Awesome thanks for that mate... big help! Pod sounds the go for me... cheaper and easier.. can't really go wrong. Even if the CAI is a tad better.. for the cost difference I really don't care that much.

Just one last.. any particular pod i should be looking for.. or just a generic type one will do? And autobarn should have everything I need?