Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is it possible to replace fuel pump yourself?

lippy

Reaction score
Hey guys, ive got a vs wagon, and im pretty sure the fuel pump has packed it in :b: . The car will crank over, but won't start. Also, when i turn the key on, i cant hear the fuel pump priming at all, whereas before, i could hear it priming for about 3 seconds, so is it safe to say the pumps shot? i swapped the fuel pump relay with one of the other ones, but no difference. What i need to know is, can you replace it yourself and whats involved, like if i pull the pump out, is 70 litres of fuel gonna drown me lol. Any help is greatly appreciated

vt1538

455rwhp LS3
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS S2 11.284@125mph
The fuel pump is in the tank so if it is full & you pull it out you will get drowned. Syphon as much fuel out as you can before removing. Its just a matter of removing the fuel lines, disconnecting the wires & undoing the screws that hold the fuel pump/sender unit in. Make sure that you tie a bit of wire around the internal return line so as it doesnt spring back into the tank.

lippy

Reaction score
ok thx mate, i'll give it a go. I'll let you know how it went

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
theres a trick to it if u cant get it out that way, wiggle it around but remember which way u wiggle it out so its easier to reinstall new one, cheers, and be gentle putting it back together, i bent my fuel sender float thingy (tells you how much fuel u have) when i forced it to hard.

theburna

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Statesman
Thre is a special tool required to get one of the pipes off. Without it you are screwed.
I started to do mine, ended up pulling the entire tank out and taking a couple of bourbon and cokes up to the local mechanic who had the tool.
without it there is a lot of swearing and pushing and pulling and you end up smelling like petrol for a fair while.
Oh and as a side light, when you do jobs like this every ****wit in the world that smokes seems to turn up when you are under the car in a puddle of fuel.
I don't know how many times I told my son and neighbour to **** off away whilst I was doing it.

M

misslisa

so easy... one of the first jobs I ever did on a holden. Just remember not to yank the pump out once you have unscrewed it all!! Make sure when you get the new one on your petrol level is the right way up eg. full is saying full on your dash!! If ya loose petrol you will loose it. If you catch a heap in a container dont put the last of the stuff back in as it may be covered with crap from it exiting your tank via grim.
good luck!!!

lippy

Reaction score
thx guys/girls for your advice, its greatly appreciated. Ok, about to start, i'll tell you how it went!!

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
yea take a good look at my posys thats wat your up against if you neva done it be4 like me :p

vt1538

455rwhp LS3
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS S2 11.284@125mph
If you cant get the hose off the connector.Cut the top off a pen lid.then put a cut in it lengthways.Push it up the hose between the hose & connector & pull the hose off.Or you can go buy the tool.