Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Loud v6 exhaust

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
well ive just found out why my exhaust is so loud :( ive got no cat converter, aparently they break or previous owner mite have "Bashed it out" any way is it worth buying a 2nd hand cat converter? because i can buy one from the wrecker here for around 50 bux, and save up and buy a new one at $350 (fitted) and im hoping a cat will quieten it down a bit too, will this be the case?

slick_red_VN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim S2
WHAT???? No cat converter your lucky the epa aint got a hold of you that would be puttin out some nasty as exhuast gas!!!
Depends on how much you wanna spend mate. Does it just have straight pipe from the manifolds an you got a muffler and a resignator(rear muffler)

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
straight through, i think its stock up front, its a cat back system i think, liek the cat cover is there, theres nuffin in side it :( id prefer not spend ne more money then i have to..

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
im not very happy about this car (ive had for 8mths) and ive found out all the suspension wass crewed as it was cut, no cat converter, and the brakes (discs) needed repalcing, and it passed a safety cert :(

slick_red_VN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim S2
I am a little confused there is NO cat in place just piping well that could create a drama cause you will need to get the mounting flanges cut and welded into the piping so that the cat can even be installed.
If there is a cat and its been bashed out you dont have to replace it unless you get caught for it.
Also 2.5 after the cat if it is there just get the second hand cat mate thats your cheapest option

killuminati

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VS Vacationer
I'd be gettin the cat put on asap, ive hear of fines up to 10k for no cat.
Yes a cat will decrease the sound!
Correct me, but they use flanges for the cat? if so, u should be able to put a new one on yourself, and i'd go a new one, better flow, last longer

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
hm well i cant exactly weld lol so i mite have to save and get a shop to do it all, thanks for all ya help though

slick_red_VN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim S2
killuminati said:
Correct me, but they use flanges for the cat? if so, u should be able to put a new one on yourself, and i'd go a new one, better flow, last longer

Maybe not flanges but if the cat isnt there and it is only pipe then somethin has to be put into the exhaust system so the cat can be mounted correctly and airtight

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
nah the cat casing theres, the ball thing inside is gone