Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

another oil question...

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
This week I purchased a 96 VSII factory supercharged calais. Only clicked over 100,000k's the day I picked it up. Always serviced by the book. I'm definately going to be using fully synthetic oil from now on, but which viscosity should I be using? The book says 20w/50 but Mobil and Shell both recommend 10w/30. Is that too thin? I am leaning towards Mobil1 but should I consider 15w/50? I always do my own services so I don't mind paying more for the good stuff. All opinions welcome.

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
15-50 sounds about right for a synthetic oil... 10 30 isnt really suitable for summer conditions

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
Running GTX 2 in mine atm...might uprade to Castrol R next...

Yours sounds nice...did you get that low Km Black one from Sydney?

What colour is it ?

Raging Bull

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S Pack L67
Mate use Change Oil - Castrol R (now EDGE) 10W/60 Fully Synthetic, widely reccomended for the S/C V6 motors.

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
sixshooter said:
Running GTX 2 in mine atm...might uprade to Castrol R next...

Yours sounds nice...did you get that low Km Black one from Sydney?

What colour is it ?

If you're talking about the Panther Mica Calais on carsales for $10995 with 99,500k's on the clock then I sure did :dance: Beautiful car and well looked after. Got it down to $10500. Some might argue it's a bit overpriced but for the condition it's in it's worth it. Plus you'll have a hard time finding a factory supercharged VS thats not a statesman.

Back to the question at hand.... Mobil even states that I could run Mobil 1 0w/40. I reckon that might be a bit iffy.

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
Raging Bull said:
Mate use Change Oil - Castrol R (now EDGE) 10W/60 Fully Synthetic, widely reccomended for the S/C V6 motors.

Recommended by who?

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
penrite premium performance 15w60 would be a suitable oil for a super6.
a bit pricier than you mobils and castrols,etc....but alot better product.

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
Scooter79 said:
If you're talking about the Panther Mica Calais on carsales for $10995 with 99,500k's on the clock then I sure did :dance: Beautiful car and well looked after. Got it down to $10500. Some might argue it's a bit overpriced but for the condition it's in it's worth it. Plus you'll have a hard time finding a factory supercharged VS thats not a statesman.

Back to the question at hand.... Mobil even states that I could run Mobil 1 0w/40. I reckon that might be a bit iffy.

Nah bullshit it's overpriced...I thought it would have sold quicker when he advertised it at $13,000...I was spewing after I saw that add @ $10995 (cause I just bought mine 2 weeks before for $11,000... 125,000km, down from $13,000) then noticed mine had a small bingle on the front bumper that wasn't repaired properly...The polished by Meguiars sounds like the Guy really looked after that car... though I reckon mine is the rarest colour that they were ever made in ("Morocan Sand")... I think these cars will be collectable the older and rarer they get "The first supercharged production car from Holden"...plus they go like stink eh ?:D Your right about most S/C being statesmans aswell....took me 6 months of waiting for my car...

Cheers...:drink:

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
sixshooter said:
Nah bullshit it's overpriced...I thought it would have sold quicker when he advertised it at $13,000...I was spewing after I saw that add @ $10995 (cause I just bought mine 2 weeks before for $11,000... 125,000km, down from $13,000) then noticed mine had a small bingle on the front bumper that wasn't repaired properly...The polished by Meguiars sounds like the Guy really looked after that car... though I reckon mine is the rarest colour that they were ever made in ("Morocan Sand")... I think these cars will be collectable the older and rarer they get "The first supercharged production car from Holden"...plus they go like stink eh ?:D Your right about most S/C being statesmans aswell....took me 6 months of waiting for my car...

Cheers...:drink:

Ahhh! A fellow VS supercharged calais owner I see! I don't think theres too many of us out there... I been searching the car websites for a few weeks and that was the only vs super calais for sale in Australia at that given time. Just lucky it was around the corner from me. The owner has a 3 car garage with a new Mazda3, classic Jaguar and a 4wd wagon. Also a garage full of Meguiars! He got the car when it was only 6000k's old. Was repo'd from a Melbourne child care centre. Anyways I'll be doing a 100,000k service this weekend by the book and keeping all receipts. Hopefully it will hold it's value if I treat it well and have the receipts to prove it.

I am thinking about the Mobil 1 10w/30. Apparently thinner fully synthetic oil protects at temperatures equal to that of a 20w/50 mineral oil. Can anyone confirm or shed some light on this?