Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Water and/or condensation in boot...

VL Soldier

The rims maketh the ride!
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
'87 VL Exec & '95 VS Berlina
G'day guys. I've got a problem with my VS Berlina. The boot is leaking and I really don't know where from or the true extent of the leak. I've read a lot of posts about this which have been helpful (ie, get in the boot with a torch while your friend hoses it etc). I reckon the leak is from around the back window area as identified by a lot of other posts. I looked at the seals and they seem to have come away very slightly from the metal. I also have had water in the spare wheel arch which might give it away too. I might also check the tail-lights but I'm thinking it won't be them as the water doesn't seem to sit in the boot lid when I open it.

The problem I'm most concerned about is I think there might be condensation settling in the boot as well. Can someone tell me why this occurs and how to fix it. The same thing happened on my VL and it screwed the carpet and eventually the boot. I've read everything from the light being on to a hole in the boot causing it. The reason I say is that even when it hasn't been raining the boot carpet becomes moist and when I leave something in the boot like a book etc. when I take it out it will be moist underneath. I can't see any small holes (including in the wheel arch) and underneath the carpet the boot metal is in impeccable condition. Any ideas would be a great help guys. Thanks.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
My last car was a Jaguar XJ6 which leaked water into the boot badly. I was able to stop most but not all leaks and had the problem you have with condensation. I fixed it by installing 2 computer fans from old power supplies into the floor so that they blew air out from the vehicle and ventilated the boot. This stopped the condensation. My Jag had a big battery and could cope with having the fans running 24/7 but in a Commodore maybe have them on a timer or just on when the ignition is on or a switch that you can turn on/off...they only drag minimal power. I think the rear window is sealed glass to metal with Sikaflex and not by the rubber seal. Good Luck.

shamden22

shamden22
Reaction score
Members Ride
vr executive
i have the same problem. i decided to pull my rubber seal off and clean the locating rail because of the build up of crap under there.turns out ive got a tiny hole right above the spare wheel. not a big deal to fix as the rubber will hide it anyways i think it was just a suspect spot weld that couldnt stand the test of time so i would pull ya seal off clean the seal and the rail and have a close look for holes on the car

VL Soldier

Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
Did it fix the problem? I'll take a look next time I get home before dark!!! I want to hit the problem early before it turns into something nasty - the car's in excellent condition at the moment and I don't wanna neglect something small to see it 'snowball' down the track.

VS CALAIS

M6 VF SSV
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV 6spd Manual
Water Leak

Hi,
I had the same problem on my previous VS, mine was leaking from where the "c" pillar meets the quater panel their is a small panel that covers the joint between these two, have a look at this area, fix is as simple as a bit of air dry sealer or silicone.

commielover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SSBodyKit
there is a small panel between boot and quarter window on VR/VS. This is where mine leaks , dodgy weld or something? does anyone know what this would cost to fix?

Dragz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ
Hey yall mine leaks 2 but only when i open the boot it comes from this hole quite annoying 1st time when i opened the boot it all went down my back that was a wakeup call lol but yea would also like to know how to fix it oh ye its a 94 vr executive :cry:

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VE SportWagon International A4
Dragz said:
Hey yall mine leaks 2 but only when i open the boot it comes from this hole quite annoying 1st time when i opened the boot it all went down my back that was a wakeup call lol but yea would also like to know how to fix it oh ye its a 94 vr executive :cry:

Do you have a boot spoiler ? The gasket in the middle can leak water into the boot and stay there until you open it. I had this problem, either replace the gasket or drill a small hole into the boot to help drain the water.

Attachments

• Boot leak.jpg
    Boot leak.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 775

VL Soldier

Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
Well, it's not from the rear quarter windows. I go the guy from Windscreens O'Brien out on the weekend and he said they'd already been re-sealed and were in perfect condition. I do have a boot spoiler but I can't see it getting in there - it doesn't run out of the boot when I open it. It gets quite wet so I don't think it's just a small pinhole. I might haveta have a look at the boot garnish and failing that I don't know? Maybe remove the carpet and take a look around the lights. What is the best thing to use to reseal around lights should I find a leak there?