Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Question

jafo

lurker since 2003
Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 wh statesman
ex government car

R

Roxymish

Thanks but do you know what the letters BT-1 stand for?

Thanks but do you know what the letters BT-1 stand for?

cliffo78

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Redline, VL Exec, VY Berlina
jafo said:
ex government car

Isn't "BT-1" the specific code for the police pack (as opposed to non-police government Commodores).

No idea what BT-1 stands for. It's probably just an option code like "FE2" - FE isn't short for anything, it's just part of the option code for sports suspension.

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VE SportWagon International A4
Yeah, BT1 doesn't stand for anything. Holden have since change the code to 9C1 from the VT onwards. Which pretty much cancels out any meaning for the code.

VSIIBerlinaL67

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS M6
it doesnt stand for anything its just a code for police pack

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
It designates a vehicle with certain factory modifications aimed at "essential services" such as fire, police, SES, military police, rural fire service, Customs etc.
- always for a government (local, state or federal) and not sold to the general public. They may have one or many modifications such as lowered suspension, sump guards, extra wiring for radio etc. My BT1 must have been looked after as it was immaculate when I bought it (at top dollar) but many have been thrashed as pursuit cars etc.

C

carzee

When the VN was the current fleet car, I got to look all over a marked cop car. It had just been delivered the week before and in the glovebox there was the dealer print out thing, or at least it was the photocopy, and it had the GMH fleet price. At the time I was looking at a new VN from a dealer and my friend in the service said I should get a ex-cop car as they were cheap. This cop car price on the sheet was about 5000 less than the Exec quote I had and it was a 5L 165kw... so a week later we went down to Fivedock Govt auctions and I chose the least marked ex-cop car. It was a rural car that had had a larger radio in the boot. 8 months old and 41000km. HWP Mildura. It did have the hole in the roof with a aerial hole plug and you could see where the stickers had been.

A lot of cars had the top of the struts popped up from crossing one too many meridian strips (concrete). A few had seat rips. A lot had stone chips and marks on the bumpers.

In those days the public could buy if they had the cash or bank cheque. A man there made a fortune selling green slips to buyers. The cars had no rego at all -no plates. To get finance you needed rego and insurance -so thats why a loan was out of the question. It was set up for dealers and their trade plates, not retail. I got the money (see below) and the green slip and paid up and drove up the road without plates to the rego office and got plates. Bet they wouldn't allow that nowadays.

Getting the money was a pose and a half. I walked to a bank up the road and asked for a cash advance on my Mastercard. The 20 yo cashier gave me the form to fill in and sign. I do it. She looks it over and says "Did you mean $1800?" LOL. I said no, its for $18,000... so she takes it to the other older one and she comes out and says Mastercard cash limit blah blah but I said it would go thru so they did it to see if it could actually get approval. It came back on the machine 'approved' and she just sort of sighed slowly, not looking at me LOL.

Mr Squiggle

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Rocket
It's the code for a police car, I have no idea what the actual BT1 stands for. But the cars have FE2 suspension, good brakes, calibrated speedos, able to drive with lights off and speedo lights on? or the other way around. You can get them in both Highway patrol "Interceptors" (V8) and for around town the normal V6's. The VL Interceptors came in both turbos and V8's but most desirable of all in my opinion is the light blue South Australian "candy car" VL Interceptors they were V8 only, you can pick one from miles away