Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

CAI+K&N+Sport Exhaust=more fuel usage?

VLishes

BaZMeG
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais SII
After installing these items I noticed that my fuel usage is pretty average, on the highway I get around 11l/100k and city driving around 12.5to13, is this normal? I haven't see the average L per 100k go below 10 since I got these upgrades. Last couple of tanks I've taken it easy with no change in average L's per 100k, I've also reset the ECU. any ideas?

Slow VR

Another White Crummodore
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Series II
Ive got CAI, K&N, Extractors, 2 1/4in Exhaust, Clean TB, Reco Injectors, New O2 Sensor, new Temp Sender, new EECS lines, new Tank Breather lines. I drive it like a nana (city driving) n im lucky to get 380klms out of a tank. Good luck!!!!

_Mukas_

DJ Titan...Hardstyle guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5.0L Statesman
im drivin stock as a rock vs acclaim and dont granny drive, but i aint a lead foot, and my fuel econ aint that flash either (i had my car service a week ago). i asked the mech. when i got it serviced and he said if it gets any lower than 350 a tank, theres a prob, until then its just the car using fuel apparently...couldnt put a reason behind it

Jamie_87

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 BA XR6
ive got k&n and sports exhaust and 211,000kms. Around city i get around 12-13L(can get upto 16 in traffic) and highway i go down to 7.5-8L/100(been down to 6 when i went away with half tank of fuel), the prob for me around city is because i love fast take offs, i noticed when i drove normally for a day fuel avg went down to 11 for city, also keep in mind that if u take it too easy the car will use more fuel . Maybe ur injectors need a clean or sumfin, i no my problem is my right foot!

VLishes

BaZMeG
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais SII
Hrmm, I find it strange that I get **** fuel consumption on the highway, from Frankston to Toorak Rd (50k's) it didn't drop below 11l/100k and that was using PULP, now I went back onto ULP and city'ish driving I got 400k's out of a tank which I suppose is good, hrmm I miss my VL.

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
Mines sitting on about 13/100 at the moment..

That's giving it plenty around town (not much actual traffic though, just lights) and up and down the hills freeway.

Expect it will drop a little more once i stop driving like a tool. Aiming for about 600km/tank but that's with the 73L in there.

jack.mc

Nothing witty to say :(
Reaction score
Website
www.jacks-lounge.com
Members Ride
VN Vacationer
I get 15/100 around town, with the mods you mentioned, but i have issues. If everything works and you drive sensibly, then it shouldnt rise much...

VLishes

BaZMeG
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais SII
I'm starting to think if it was a wise decision to buy this car, it's comfortable but fuel economy is average and it's not really fun to drive, compared to my old VL.

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
What sort of "around town" driving is it getting? Full on traffic or just driving round the streets with a few traffic lights?

It does sound a touch high considering I get much the same in mine.. I've got a bit of freeway mixed in but alot of that is uphill and it pretty much breaks even after a trip each way.

I haven't been able to run it on any flat freeway/highway.. because well... we don't have any, lol.

semi

GOD
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR exec wagon
Im kinda making an educated guess here, but with your CAI, wont it be making a kind of air ram effect, making it burn a little more fuel?