Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

transmission dramas!!! help

lilkel

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 BT1,VR 5.0l statesman
hi, i have a vr statesman and since i bought it 6 months ago when it's in top gear and you put your foot down and it goes to kickback it has trouble selecting a gear(like it's jumping in and out of gear). yesterday i got in it and went to take off and it's slipping in 1st now??? i thin it's slipping through all the gears as it seems to be reving a bit higher than normal(i think i'm not exactly sure what it should be reving at when i'm driving)... and my check engine light also started coming on yesterday??? has anybody else had anything like this happen or does anybody know what it might be???? i'm hoping and praying it's not completely stuffed!!!! thanks:cry:

onequikvs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS executive s2
iv had similar probs i give a boot full it kicks bak an fails i also find when i slow down for a corner it doesnt no which gear to select when i exit the corner i got told that it is somthing in ur driveline im goin to an auto trans expert tommorow so ill let u no how i go ill also menchoin the probs ur having an see what the expert thinks sorry i couldn help more

lilkel

Reaction score
Members Ride
thanks heaps that would be grouse!! i know the centre bearing in mine is stuffed as it has been shuttering when i take off!! maybe that has something to do with it????

ScottB_33

Go Hard or Go Home
Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Berlina Supercharged
You will find that the check engine light is coming on, as the transmission computer is picking up that the transmission is slipping and that is why it has thrown the light on. There is no seperate transmission light so the computer uses the same check engine light as the engine to tell you that there is a fault within the transmission. Unless the transmission fluid is very low I would predict that your tranny is stuffed!!

adam_vr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU manual
my gearbox in my vr was pretty bad, first and second gear seemed ok most of the times, but didnt want to change above 2nd, even just cruising along at 2 it would slip out and just rev.

got a new (reconditioned) gearbox in the end

lilkel

Reaction score
Members Ride
hi, can anyone tell me if a transmission out of a series II VQ statesman will fit in a VR statesman?? they're both 5.0litres!!!!! i'm pretty sure i can get it cheap if it'll fit???

jasman

Reaction score
Transmission misconceptions

I want ro clear up a common missconception about tranmission bands. Firstly in 4l60E V6 or V8 there is only one band. It is only applied in 2nd and fourth or from 3rd to second, thereofore there must be other components that have and effect on its performance or reliability. There are almost as many problems as there are fixes.Vq are non electrically controlled where vr/ vs need electrics/ computer ect
If you have a v8 4l6oE out of a vr, It will fit physically however, there are internal differences from Vr to Vs. To tell the difference Vs has the word pwm stamped on the pump housing. they should only be fitted to a Vs.

Last edited:

gregaust

Reaction score
lilkel said:
thanks heaps that would be grouse!! i know the centre bearing in mine is stuffed as it has been shuttering when i take off!! maybe that has something to do with it????

Could be the centre bearing but another common prob is the upper control arm bushes on the diff.

TheForgotten

only human......
Reaction score
Website
www.holdenscene.com
Members Ride
VR EXEC
control arm wouldn't present as shuddering, it'd be a tapping.