Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS keeps turning off while driving

crainy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs v6
hey guys
have been having the first real problem with my car. as im driving the engine just shuts off. engine cranks again but doesnt start for about 5 mins. NRMA ran diagnostic test no errors very weird.
any ideas
all out and no ideas
cheers michael

adam_vr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU manual
of all the times it has turned off on you, were there any common factors? like maybe speed/rpm, were you idle, turning a corner?

crainy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs v6
first time it did it was driving normally to work. after that i drove so slowly and carefully and it still did it. got code 12 that normal isnt it didnt lose voltage when it happened one was breaking for a corner one was accelerating after a corner nothing really common

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
maybe a fuel problem...pump maybe on it's way out... does it do it more often when you give it a bootfull ?

crainy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs v6
nah still got full power. mainly on lower rpm
i think we've fixed it for now NRMA guy said for now put a new cam angle sensor in. seems to have worked for now if it was the problem it should have come up in diagnostics?

MT269U

[LOLIFE]
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS commodore
i had the same problem. the engine light n **** come on? i changed my crank angle sensor and its perfect now. cost from 180 - 300 dollars, depends where u go.

crainy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs v6
MT269U said:
i had the same problem. the engine light n **** come on? i changed my crank angle sensor and its perfect now. cost from 180 - 300 dollars, depends where u go.
did you get a warning before or did it just turn off and did it restart stright away
cheers michael

MT269U

[LOLIFE]
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS commodore
nah no warning or anything. id jus be driving, 70kms/h then it could jus cut out. and it would suck coz u lose power steering etc... sometimes it wouldnt start again and id have to call the nrma, but by the time they get there, the crank angle sensor has cooldown and it starts. but make sure u carry bottles of water with u. when ur car stops, pour water on the crank angle sensor to cool it off, ur car should start straight away. thats what i used to do. its located jus behind the belts in front of ur engine. jus pour water all down there to cool it off.

crainy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs v6
summernats2010 said:
exactly what i was going to say except it is called a crank angle sensor and not a cam angle sensor. $180-$300 ripped off i reckon my work charges $140 fitted and yep genuine holden sensor
where is thats sounds like a good deal