Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT Rear Camber Issues = FE2 Springs Require Camber Kit?

Puma

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Hi All

I have searched high and low to find an answer but this is the best that I have come up with... Doesn't really answer my question.. :hmmm: http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/vt-vx-holden-commodore-1997-2002/77869-vt-needs-camber-kit.html

Anyway I have a 97 VT I have fitted some pedders springs that my mate gave me for free :) Anyway when I went and had it aligned I was told your tyres will be dead in about 5,000km if I don't get a camber kit as I currently have 3 degrees camber on the rear.

This car is basically my interim car and I couldn't be bothered spending that sort of money on it, however at the same time I don't want to be replacing my tyres every 6 months or so..

I have sourced some FE2 springs and I would like know if I fit them to the rear would I still need a camber kit? I have read the FE2 are about 30mm lower than standard, however not as low as the pedders (I think they are about 50mm) they will still ride a lot better than the stock springs that I am trying so hard to not have to put back in because they are awful!!

Help is appreciated

Cheers

SSMAN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXSS
I own a ss with fe2 suspension and I am going to be getting the camber kit, as every 5000km I try to do a strip and fit on the rears to stop them weaing faster in the inner edge. It costs about $500 to get done at pedders.

Puma

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
So really what you are saying from factory anything that came with FE2 and no rear camber adjustment will chew the inside of the tyres??

Why Holden why??

Anyway I would imagine that the FE2 would be an improvement over the stock suspension for handling and looks and also an improvement over the pedders in regards to tyre wear.

I guess I will just stick with this compromise. I paid $750 for my car I am not going to spend $500 to install a few pieces of rubber and a few bolts just so I can adjust the suspension.

At the end of the day I have been told even with the standard suspension it will wear the inners quicker becuase of the IRS there is nothing really you can do becuase when you accelerate the rear squats down.

glenn l

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve sv6
how low is it?, 3 degreese is pretty excissive.

Puma

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
At the moment I believe they are pedders superlow springs.

I'm picking up the FE2 springs for the rear tonight so I will fit them and see how it goes. It won't take long to chuck them in and then I will get it checked at the local tyre shop to see howmany degrees of camber it ends up with.

Is it 1-1.5 from factory?

Murdoch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Wagoon
I removed my king lows in the rear and replaced with FE2 springs.
I still put in a camber kit. Even with FE2 the rear end is a **** set up and it will wear the inner of the rears out.

I used a super pro 4 point kit and it has been good so far >5000 kms.

schrinky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore Executive 9C1
what size tyres have you got?? ive got 15's all round on fe2 and i dont have an issue, i have looked at 17's and definatly going to need a camber kit....and no i dont do burnouts with my 15's its a 9c1 and i cant afford the set of 17's i want....

Puma

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Really? Damm I don't want to have to fork out money for a camber kit maybe I will have to put the stock springs back in..

I am running 17" clubsport wheels at the moment. I think they are 235x45x17 tyres..

schrinky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore Executive 9C1
how much you want.....swap rims, im willing to spend the money on a camber kit!!! keep in mind tyres will cost you between $150 and $300 so times that by 2 and you get the cost of a camber kit in no time!

CV60VE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
I have seen camber kits around for $150
so thats cheaper than more tyres